Sunday, November 28, 2010

Baked Beans on Toast

I must admit. I am never a big fan of baked beans. I think the years of having floury tasting beans in gooey pale tomato sauce over rice when I was growing up quite put me off it. Maybe the brand matters? The local beans are bigger and are not the same as those in found Heinz baked beans which are made of navy beans.

In any case, I was talking to someone about it. He commented that the baked beans (in a pic I took) looked bigger than what he was accustomed to. So being a curious person, that set me off in a flurry of research. I never knew there was so much being written about baked beans :p

I found out the the typical baked beans served in UK is actually navy beans and Heinz blue label is the can to buy. The other Heinz baked beans contained molasses and other variations. The Heinz blue label is vegetarian and only contains tomato sauce.

So I set out to re-create a quintessential British basic breakfast or snack food. Baked beans on toast. It is really simple and took me less than 10 minutes to make.

After googling and finding out more ways to have baked beans, I decided to go with 2 variations. 1. Buttered toast with scrambled eggs and baked beans
2. Buttered toast with melted sliced cheese and baked beans

Ingredients
1 can Heinz blue label baked beans
sliced onions
2 eggs
milk
pepper
grey sea salt
2 slices low fat cheddar cheese (or any cheese you like)
2 slices of thick sliced bread
butter

Method:
1. Heat bread in non-stick pan till it is a bit crispy.
2. Sliced onions. Beat the eggs and add in milk.
3. Remove bread and spread butter on them. Place 2 slices of cheese on 1 slice of bread. Transfer the bread to a toaster oven to melt the cheese and to continue toasting the bread.
4. Melt butter in pan. Add onions till softened. Pour in eggs and scramble the eggs. When it is partially set, sprinkle with sea salt and scramble further. Remove from pan.
5. Pour can of baked beans into pan to heat up.
6. Remove bread from toaster oven and pour baked beans over the toasted bread.
7. Grind pepper over egg and serve.

The trick is to have a thickly buttered toast so that there is a rich underlying taste. I must confess. I still am not a big fan of baked beans. It was not awful and the beans definitely tasted much better than the versions found locally but they did not make me go "wow"!

No comments: