Monday, December 16, 2013

Deciding on Hotel in Singapore

Here I am....trawling through the world wide web, looking for a nice hotel to stay in either January or February next year. I guess I just want a bit of pampering, to be in a spacious room with super comfy bed with thick soft duvet and strong air-conditioning to freeze my ass off. A big bathroom with an inviting bathtub and separate shower.

Am I spoilt? Maybe. Most likely.

If I am going to spend good money for a hotel room, it has better be worth it. That means the room has to be at least 40 sqm or so. Anything smaller can be quite claustrophobic and I might as well stay at home, in my own room. Having this requirement also means there are not that many hotels with such room size now, especially those newer hotels which seemed to go the way of our apartments. Shoebox, anyone?

Looking at the various hotels, I am struck with memories...places I have stayed at before. Dating someone who is not based in Singapore means you do get to see plenty of hotels though we had a few favorites.

Anyway, because of my inherent want or need to fulfill a requirement by the Starwood Preferred Guest club thingy, I am wondering if I should select a hotel under its group so that I can reach the next level sooner.

The choices would be:

  • St Regis
  • Sheraton Towers
  • W Sentosa
  • Westin Singapore


Sheraton Towers is convenient, but the room is tiny at 30 sqm. The room looks old too, with shower curtain!

St Regis is the popular choice but it is expensive. I would want to take the spa special at $500++ but the dates are all gone. And somehow the cheaper rates' rooms only have twin beds, no king.

W Sentosa is too far away and somehow I am not really a big fan of Sentosa. I do not really want to stay there though I like W.

Westin is very new and right in Shenton Way. Not a place I fancy. Pretty much just a drinking area at night, unless you want to trek over to MBS.

So I am leaning very much towards St Regis....if only it is for King bed and at a good price.

There is always my old favorite - Fairmont. I would say Fairmont (or the old Raffles the Plaza) is a place I stayed at most often, besides Ritz Carlton and MBS. I guess I should say MBS is the place I stayed at all the time in Singapore now. At one time, it was almost a monthly affair.

I would like to try Four Seasons or go back to Conrad again. Mandarin Oriental is another option. Somehow I am not a big fan of Pan Pacific.

Oh well I guess I will figure something out...or maybe I will just save this money and spend it for my upcoming trips in March and April next year.

No comments: