Friday, February 10, 2012

A Kilo A Week

The surgery was on Wednesday and it went well enough. The roots were curved which explained why it was not that possible to extract using conventional methods. The pain was extreme once the anaesthesia wore off and it took a while for the painkillers to kick in.

The wound was bleeding and it took 4 gauze change before I decided to just remove it and try to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night to find my tongue pushed against the wound and swallowed a bit of the blood. But I found out the tongue and saliva were natural wound healer. It stopped the bleeding and created blood clot more effectively than the gauze. The human body is a wonderful work of God.

I also realized now why saliva can heal. I have read about using saliva to as a salve when getting paper cuts, that it is a natural healing agent. It did not occur to me that it is necessary until now, with my surgery. Saliva will help any wound in the gum to heal faster, plus it is also a natural antiseptic.

I am not in that much pain now, but that could be due to me taking the painkiller religiously every 6 hours. I did not want to let the pain set in at all.

The silver lining for this teeth stuff is that maybe I can finally lose some weight. The excess weight I have been carrying around for the last few years. As the gum is healing (still soft gooey), I am taking extra care not to have food at that area. So it has been a soft diet of yogurt and porridge and some other soft food. I can still chew but need to do so in small bites and very slowly.

So far I have lost 2 kgs since the first tooth pain in early January. I did not eat much during CNY and I am also doing calorie counting. Calorie counting really helps to create awareness of the food I am taking in. So hopefully I can continue with this weight loss. My goal is 1 kg a week.

I know I will hit a plateau after a while, then I will need to step up on the exercises. But in the meantime, reducing calories is helping.

No comments: