Tuesday, December 29, 2009

10 at Claymore Penang Food Promotion

10 at Claymore at Pan Pacific Orchard had a Penang food promotion a few weeks ago and I managed to catch it before it ended. This was my second time going to a hotel for a Penang food spread and I was pleasantly surprised. The first I went to was at York Hotel where it just served Penang hawker food, and so I was expecting that too.

Instead I discovered that 10 at Claymore had its usual buffet spread plus the Penang dishes of which about 6 are available via the a la carte buffet. That was very nice indeed as it could get a bit too much just feasting on Penang hawker food.

Fresh plump juicy cold oysters were always nice to start off the meal. The cold prawns were very sweet and I loved the variety of cheese and crackers and smoked salmon.
We shared the penang popiah. I did not really like it as the filling tasted different and there was a very strong prawn paste (hae kor) taste to it.
The Penang laksa was a winner. Rich tangy gravy over al dente noodles and it was not too spicy. This was really good.
The prawns in wine/wolfberries were not too bad, a bit overcooked by the time I got to them. I liked the Penang char kway teow too. That was so yummy. Fragrant and very tasty.
It was back to the usual spread after trying the penang food. I remembered I liked the roast beef from the previous visit and I tried it again. It was still good. Tender moist meat with the full beefy robust flavor which went very well with the baby potatoes. A little bit of salad and steamed veggies to feel healthy.
Despite the full stomach, I just had to try one more Penang dish ~ the prawn noodles. This was amazing. Very different from Singapore as the stock was a bit spicy (no chili added) and sweet and prawny.

I did not try the other dishes such as the roast lamb, bak kut teh, fruit rojak and french onion soup.
Dessert - it was still average to me. Maybe their focus was still on their chocolate fountain as they certainly had a wide variety of fruits and items for dipping.

Based on my two visits to 10 at Claymore, I find that I like it for a simple selection of buffet with good food. It is usually quite quiet and that is great when you want to get away from the crowd and you do not need to battle your way to the food station at all.

No comments: