Sunday, January 16, 2011

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Chestnuts


I was always tempted to make brussels sprouts with bacon but it was hard to find good looking sprouts at the supermarket. So I was very excited when I found this frozen pack of brussels sprouts with chestnuts.

I decided to try making it using Rachael Ray's recipe. It looked quite straight forward and I was cautious not to overcook the sprouts. The problem with sprouts is that most places tend to overcook it, making it very bitter and unappetizing. That was my first experience with sprouts and I never wanted to try it again until I tried a friend's version which made it so tasty. I decided the trick was the bacon and possibly butter. Butter tends to make everything tastes amazing.

Ingredients

  • 3 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, small spouts left whole, larger spouts halved
  • Salt and pepper, to your taste
  • 1 cup chicken broth

Directions

Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan, 1 turn. Add shallots to the pan and saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add Brussels spouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender. Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.


My version was still not as great as my friend's but at least they were not bitter. Instead they were crunchy and had a subtle nutty flavor. I think I should have continued cooking the sprouts in the bacon grease. I was concerned about it being too oily so I removed the grease and cooked in another pot. Plus I overlooked that chestnuts would take a longer cooking time unlike the sprouts so they were a bit dry and hard. I had to remove the chestnuts and cooked them in water for a little longer. Another thing I tweaked was the use of onions. I prefer it to shallots.

I will need to try making this again. I hope sprouts will be available year round, instead of during this Thanksgiving/Christmas period.


No comments: