Sunday, January 02, 2011

Hot Chocolate on a Stick

I have been wanting to make this for the longest time. Well, ever since I read about it from Not Quite Nigella. It looks fairly simple and easy to do, which is quite up my alley. After many many months of procrastinating, I finally decided to try making it as Christmas gifts for my work colleagues. It was a success, so I went on to make it for Christmas lunch.

Ingredients:
A packet of dark chocolate chips or cooking chocolate (I have used Nestle, Tulip and Aalst and they turned out well)
A pack of wooden skewers
Silicone ice-cube trays
Mini marshmallows

Method:
1. Melt chocolate in a bowl on medium heat in the microwave. I keyed in 3 minutes, but will stop it every 30 seconds to check or stir the chocolate.
2. Spoon the melted chocolate into the silicone ice cube trays. This is the tricky part, as it is quite hard not to make a mess of it.
3. Place mini marshmallows on the chocolate.
4. Put into fridge for 5-10 minutes for chocolate to set.
5. Pull out from fridge to insert the skewers and put back into fridge to set.
6. Pop the chocolate out when they are ready.

I usually leave them in the fridge overnight so that the chocolate gets very hard as Singapore weather is so warm and I do not want them to melt when giving to friends.

This is after 2 hours in the fridge. I took them out for photography as I thought they are ready. But it is better to leave it for longer as the chocolate is not rock hard yet.
I have 2 trays - flower and butterfly. I am making a smaller batch to give to people this week.

See the chocolate smudge. The chocolate is not fully hardened. These sticks will be packaged into the clear bags which you can get from Daiso. Or you can also use a ziplock sandwich bag and print instructions on it.

This is meant to be a hot chocolate on a stick, so you stir it into a mug of warm milk with mini marshmallows floating. But you can also eat it as a chocolate candy.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Not Quite Nigella said...

So glad that you liked this and yours look perfect! :) I love making these because they're so easy and yet people love them. I admit I put two sticks per cup of milk hehe :)

carolyn said...

Thank you! You are too kind :) I must try it with two sticks in future.

celest said...

hey, i have the same butterfly moulds! hehe.. well, butterflies, why wouldn't i? :P

your chocs. look lovely! :)