Sunday, July 22, 2012

Marine Parade Baos

It has been so many years since I had the baos from the corner bao stall in the corner coffee shop in Marine Parade (near the old Republic cinema). I happened to be back in the area a few weeks ago and could not resist checking out the place and see if the place is still in existence. After all we are talking about over 20+ years since the last time I went to buy the baos on my own.


As I just had lunch over at the new 112 Katong (previously Katong Mall), I only bought a big bao and a char siew bao. These were the baos I grew up eating in my childhood years when I lived in Marine Parade. They were not pretty or tiny but they packed a punch in taste and portion. 


The big bao was juicy with the sauce coating the interior of the soft white doughy bun. My favorite part of the big meat bao was the gravy soaked bun. Somehow the marriage of the unami sauce and sweetish dough made the taste buds danced a merry tune. It was a very generous serving and was typical of the baos which used to be everywhere in the 1980s or earlier, unlike the baos I often had now from the stalls in the malls.

The char siew bao was equally good with well marinated meat. It was not fatty meat like some other outlets but the proportion of fatty bits and lean meat was just right. The thicker bun meant each mouthful had an even part of meat and bun.

I could not really recall the taste of the buns of my yesteryears but these were really good and fabulous for when I wanted a more decent serving of baos.

No comments: