Sunday, November 05, 2006

Wedding Cake?



I don't really eat much cakes, even though I like them well enough. And when I do order cakes for dessert, I always go for chocolate cake as I prefer the "tried and tested".

We received a cake from my cousin's family as she is getting married (wedding in December). I am not sure what this is called, but it is probably not wedding cake. Should it be an "engagement" cake? I find it confusing - the Chinese custom of holding a wedding.

Apparently, the family who is going to have a wedding will give away cakes to relatives (and friends too?) to announce the impending nuptials. Usually there will be the formal meeting of the parents to discuss the "dowry" or something too.


Anyway, the cake we received is actually a cookies and cream cake from Angie The Choice. I rarely have cakes from there, as it seemed to specialize in cream cake and that is not really a favorite of mine. I was pleasantly surprised by the lightness of the cake, and the cream is very fresh, not heavy buttery at all. That usually made me a bit sick.

Chocolate sponge cake with layers of fresh cream and bits of cookies inside the cream. It was good.

No comments: