Sunday, July 04, 2010

Awfully Chocolate Chocolate Cupcake ~ VivoCity

It has been years since I last had a cake from Awfully Chocolate. I remembered when it first opened at Breezeway Building along Joo Chiat back in the late 1990s (no longer there). It was the place we always bought our cakes from for the monthly birthday babies in Urban Alternatives (young adults group in my church). Then it was really a small shop selling only 2 types of cakes ~ chocolate or chocolate banana.

What we loved about the cake was that it was not overly sweet and the sponge was moist with a rich layer of dark chocolate.

Somehow over the years the memories of what it was stuck in my head and I never went back to buy the cakes again. Plus I still thought of it serving just those 2 types of cakes and even when I saw it at VivoCity, it never occurred to me to check it out until last weekend. There I saw it has expanded and has so many more items available ~ cupcakes, ice cream, handmade truffles and cakes.

I bought the chocolate cupcake and it was absolutely divine. The cupcake did not have to be refrigerated. I left it in my air-conditioned room overnight and the cupcake was still moist and soft. The cake was its signature sponge which was not overly sweet. It was topped with a generous layer of chocolate icing which was neither too creamy nor buttery. It was a smooth rich dark chocolate and it went very well with the moist cake. In the center, was a dollop of chocolate fudge. It was truly chocolate overload and a haven for chocoholics.

I would certainly go back to Awfully Chocolate again to try the other new cakes ~ chocolate rum and cherry, anyone?

3 comments:

stardust979 said...

Ohhhhh that is nice! I like the cake, we get it for family birthdays sometimes. The chocolate is so sinful but very nice :)

carolyn said...

Yes it is :) I also bought the kahlua truffle and regular chocolate truffle. Luscious sinful treat.

^cherie said...

me!

i haven't tried Awfully Chocolate before.. can u believe it?? :P