Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ankle Still Swollen

I thought the ankle is getting better but I guess not. All the relatives descended upon the house last night (Ren Re - 7th Day) as we hosted dinner for both sides (maternal and paternal). It was a noisy, rambunctious and fun affair, with about 60 or more of us. But I guess it is typical that there will be two camps since they rarely see each other. Just an annual thing (outside of the usual weddings/funerals), unless you are closer and so see each other slightly more often.

The younger kids (10 and below) were all playing with each other, chasing one another in, out, up, down and all around the house/compound. Good thing our place is big enough to accommodate that. The older ones (aunts/uncles - 50 and above) chatted quietly among themselves and helped themselves to the wine which made most of them red in the face and more "relaxed" *hehe*. (Surprisingly only that group drank alcohol - I forgot to open my store of hard liqour :p - maybe the younger ones will drink then ) Those from late teens to the 30s/40s were in another group. Those with babies/toddlers were in another corner, and the domestic helpers socialized among themselves too.

So yeah, when my cousins/aunts and nieces/nephews saw me and my ankle, they said it was still swollen and purple. Maybe I was used to seeing the BIG bump and deep purple ankle a couple of days after I twisted it, I thought the swelling has gone down considerably and color has faded. But no, it was still swollen and (light) purple.

I was duly told to rub it with any deep heat or medicated oil which is against what the doc told me. I was also told to ice it and elevate the foot all the time, which I tried to elevate already as much as possible. But icing - I only did it once cos I thought that was enough. Lol, guess I am just not that experienced in treating sprained ankle.

But I noticed there is an ache in the calf, maybe cos I strained the muscles which were trying to compensate for the ankle weight? Who knows?

My niece was really sweet to help massage and rub my ankle and calf, which helped a great deal. Especially the calf. My cousin said the ankle was not as swollen after that but I still couldn't really see. Thanks Charm :)

Went back to work on Friday as the doc only gave 2 days MC, and that was quite torturous. Not the work, of course. But the strain on my leg/ankle and back. Maybe I was so used to being bed-ridden for the last few days that it ached to sit for long hours. I had a stool at work to elevate my leg but it didn't help much.

Really hope it will be much better very soon as it is annoying not being able to walk fast or run or exercise. And I wanna go dancing too!

So far, people have told me it will take from 2 days to a few weeks for the ankle to heal. That it really depends on how much I rest my foot. Plus I certainly do not want to end up with an arthritic foot when I am in my 40s, 50s or 60s.

No comments: