Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day and Turning 30

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

I always dread turning 30 when I was in my teens or early 20s. Somehow the big 3-0 seemed so OLD. But now that I have officially joined the 30s club, I find there is no difference at all. Age is really just a number. And with the plastic surgery and botox and fillers widely available, you can still look young when you are in your 40s and 50s. The only difference is probably internal - if your heart is still pumping efficiently, and liver, kidneys working well, plus the lucid mind, of course.

I love my girlfriends! I never thought the girls I met in 2004 from CC will turn out to be very good friends now. They are my pillar of support when I am down in the dumps or when I need help (especially from Regina's School of Charm ;p) or advice or just when I am happy - to share the good news, joy and of course, best bargains - sale sale sale, anyone? Hehe.

Usually on my birthday, I will go to the spa to pamper myself with treatments, and possibly meals with girlfriends or family. Recently, I have taken to celebrating my birthday with my girlfriends - those who are willing to forsake their other halves on vday or at least meet them later for supper or something - an excuse for the singles to still come out and have fun too ;p

So this year, I ran some errands in the morning. Met my cousin for a quick lunch near her work place in Shenton Way (central business district) before going to the spa for a massage and facial. My cousin was just trying to feed me lots, I think she still sees me as a baby, needing to be fed that I won't go hungry. Asking me if I wanted some tapioca kuehs after a filling lunch of beef noodles soup, and if I wanted some fresh fruits and even walking me to the train station! I really felt like a little girl of 7, not 30 at all :p Then again, she looked after me when I was a baby, guess some things just never changed (she is 19 years my senior).

The massage was good as usual at the spa. Lilian was able to work the kinks out of my body. I think I need to have regular massage again. Twice a month. I felt so stiff. I had the Lifespa facial which was more of a facial massage. No extraction as I didn't want that. Somehow I fell asleep somewhere between the facial massage and masking period. Very rare for me to do that. Eva was the therapist for that. Pretty good, she is. I would want to try the eye mask treatment in the future, didn't do that as I thought I would be late meeting Davis. Bare-skinned, my eyes looked horrible - faint dark eye circles. I need to sleep more now. Already DL found a strand of grey hair on Saturday. Sign of ageism.

Was at Paul & Joe counter to do my brows and stock up on my basics stuff. Ruby took some time to touch up my make-up as she wanted to "pretty" me up on my special day. Hehe. In the end, I was at the counter for about 90mins. Then it was on to dinner with the girls.

Davis and I were late as there was a jam in Orchard. Agnes and Livia got there the earliest and waited for us. (Sorry :( ) The rest of the girls were also late due to bad traffic. I decided on Perankan food at the Esplanade as it was near CityLink Mall for Celest to get to her pedi place and I wanted a non-VDAY special menu restaurant.

VDAY is so commercialized in Singapore, with most restaurants trying to cash in on the set menus. I felt those were like being in a cattle drive, no uniqueness at all. I tried it once and never again.

Anyway, dinner was a fun affair. We ordered lots - ayam buah keluak (chicken), babi something (pork), itek something (duck), ladies fingers, kang kong, tofu and ngoh hiang. I realized we are not really veggies people. We finished the meat but there were some leftovers on the vegs. Lol.

The restaurant gave us complimentary fish agar agar - to signify abundance for the year. And the girls got a mini oreo cheesecake with 3 chubbies men candles. Hehe. That was so cute. Agnes got us heart-shaped balloons - she is always so sweet. I still remembered her getting us gerberas when we first met. Celest got us chocolate coated strawberries. Nice! I couldn't find any of the chocolate "kisses" to give to the girls.

And pressies - they got me Anna Sui Secret Wish. Yay! Now one of my birthday wish is fulfilled....wonder if I will get to fulfill the others *wink* I also got candle - gingered currant - smells good. My Tocca candle is almost gone, so that is just in time to replace that :)

I love my girlfriends! Really a pity Tanny and Ashley could not make it. Next time :) But big hugs to Agnes, Davis, Celest, Regina, Livia and Sherie for turning up and making it a fun-filled joyous occasion.

Pictures to follow soon. Ran out of battery while taking pics.

No comments: