Monday, February 19, 2007

Present from Golden Pig - Sprained Ankle

The Golden Pig has gifted me with a swollen ankle. I spent the 2nd day of the Chinese New Year limping. I have a fear of falling, especially after I fell down half a flight of stairs at home on the 2nd or 3rd day of 2003 (yes, in January on either 2nd or 3rd - I was going for an interview then with Alexandra Hospital - how ironic, and they didn't re-schedule the interview when I called them to say I fell and sprained my ankle).

That was a bad experience. I could not walk at all then. I could barely get up. I called my ex then and he came over from work to look after me. His workplace was near my place. I was fretting over my ankle, if it was broken or just sprained or fractured or what. After a few days of icing the ankle and there was no improvement (I still could not walk or even limp) - I had to be on crutches, I had to look at alternatives.

Ling told me of a Chinese doctor in the East Coast who cured her sprained ankle, so I called him. The receptionist said I had to wait for a week before there was a slot for an appointment. Who could wait that long. Luckily she recommended me to see his disciple, another doctor who practices in Tampines. I got my sister to drive me there. I got there on crutches, and the doc said I didn't sprain my ankle at all. Apparently I landed on my hip when I fell, so it was my hip which was affected. He re-aligned my body, like a chiropractor, and applied some foul smelling paste/medicine on the ankle and told me to keep it on for a couple of days.

The amazing thing was that I could limp out of his room after that. From being on crutches to being able to limp out. That was a miracle, and there after, I called him my miracle doctor.

So yeah, today. Of all things to happen, my ankle had to turn in/out when I was walking along the bridge from Asian Civilisations Museum to the Fullerton Hotel. And I was not even wearing heels at all. I was wearing my birkies. My flat birkies. I did not know how, but somehow I just twisted the ankle.

Lucky I didn't crumple and fall. But the pain was excruciating. I could limp, so I told Chris I was fine, we could still walk to our destination, which was the esplanade. It was not swollen then. But now, after several hours of inactivity, my ankle has swelled and my leg is aching.

I hate the pain. I hope it will go away soon and that Doctor Lee is opened tomorrow, that he didn't go back to China. Else I would have to go to the hospital for an x-ray. My godma told me to get it x-rayed. It could be torn ligaments. Sounds horrible.

Why me? Why now? What a way to start the CNY.

No comments: