Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Corduroy Cafe @ VivoCity

Interior of Corduroy Cafe

I quite like Corduroy Cafe at VivoCity. Cosy place with a very European feel to it. The chandelier, pillar of pictures, wall of clocks and mural, plus plush chairs made it a nice place to chill. For a natter with girlfriends, whiling the afternoon away, watching the world pass by.

Beef pie, beef stew, chocolate rum tart and panna cotta with berries

Celest and I had a late dinner on Saturday. I was not that hungry so I just had the beef stroganaff pie while Celest had the beef stew. I also had a caramel latte to go with dessert of chocolate rum tart and panna cotta with berries.

The beef pie was excellent. Not too salty. The crust was crispy and the filling was wet but not too much liquid to make it soggy. It was filled with chunky tender beef cubes which could melt in your mouth.

I tried the beef stew and it was good, but the beef was slightly tougher than in the pie.

The desserts - 3 words - to die for. The chocolate rum tart looked deceptively small but it sure packed a punch. I thought the 3 ovals on the tart were some chocolate covered fruits though I didn't recall it being in the description. Turned out they were rum filled chocolate ganache. The entire tart was rum chocolate. I could feel the heat of the alcohol though Celest said she couldn't really taste it except in the center of the tart. Maybe I got the alcohol end :p I would recommend to share it as it might be too much/rich for 1 person.

The panna cotta was a darling. I was never a big fan of vanilla custard type of dessert but the panna cotta was just very smooth. It can slide down the throat easily. Creamy silky sweet with the tart berries as a perfect foil to balance the taste. I like it!

No comments: