Thursday, October 15, 2009

Prego, Fairmont Singapore

It was quite late by the time we ended up at Prego for dinner. We were looking for Thai food but at 9+pm, many places were closed by the time we walked to Purvis Street and CityLink Mall. And I had totally forgot about the Patara Thai at Raffles City, somehow I kept thinking it was only available at Tanglin Mall.

I was not very hungry so I only ordered the mushroom soup and a dessert.

The mushroom soup with truffle oil and a thin bread stick. I was a bit disappointed with the soup as it was not as thick as I would like it to be. I felt it was a bit thin and watery and the truffle taste was barely discernable. I much preferred the one served at Greenhouse in Ritz Carlton.

My dessert - cannolo (I found out cannolo is singular, cannoli is plural) with fresh berries and sorbet and vanilla sauce.

This was so good! I loved the sinful sweet filling (not sure if it was cream or mascopone) in the light flaky puff pastry tube. The berries were a good foil against the sweetness, as was the sorbet. I did not like the sorbet as it had a hint of spice on it.

Now I wonder where I can go look for cannoli. They are absolutely yummy.

3 comments:

red fir said...

The filling is sweetened ricotta. Try Ricciotti's cannolo, it's delicious. Theirs is a chocolate pastry shell filled with sweetened ricotta cheese, citrus fruits and pistachio nuts. Garibaldi's version (similar to Riccotti's) is awesome too!

carolyn said...

Thanks for the recommendation :) Will definitely keep those places in mind when I get cannoli craving.

stardust979 said...

Cannoli reminds me of The Godfather, there's a famous saying about taking home the Cannoli or something like that :) It looks so good, always wanted to eat it. thanks for the recommendation! :)