Sunday, May 21, 2006

Cupcakes

pic from Buttercup Cake Shop

I am intrigued by cupcakes recently. Why cupcakes? I am never a huge fan of cupcake as I find the frosting too sweet for my liking. Plus it is so rare to find really nice cupcakes in Singapore, in terms of taste and appearance. They are just not so appetitizing.

The closest cupcake I fairly like is from Marmalade Pantry or Toast (sister branches). The ultimate deluxe cupcake is decadently sinful, with a square of cheesecake-like topping on the chocolate filling. The nutella version has a nutella frosting on it. The third version I tried was the lemon cupcake, which was extremely sweet. The saving grace was the lemon frosting, its tartness contrasting nicely with the sweet yellow cake.

So why cupcakes? I chanced onto a blog, with many pictures of homemade cupcakes, with so many flavors that it is mind-boggling. To most people, when I mentioned cupcakes, the first thing that came to their mind was the cupcakes featured in SATC - Magnolia Bakery in NYC.

I did more searches and found out there were a few bakeries popping up ala Magnolia Bakery, all with the same swirled frosting on the cupcakes. Apparently, they have ties to Magnolia. The cupcakes are just too pretty for words.


Pic of Magnolia Bakery cupcakes (as seen in SATC)
courtesy of http://gonyc.about.com/cs/toursbr/l/bl_satc09.htm

Magnolia Bakery
401 Bleecker StreetNew York, NY 10014

Buttercup Cake Shop
http://www.buttercupbakeshop.com/
East Side - 973 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022
phone: (212) 350-4144

West Side - 141 West 72nd Street
New York, NY 10023
phone: (212) 787-3800


5 comments:

monochromatix said...

Did you ever have a chance to go to the cupcake shop down on Denman? It's close to English Bay and local owned... it's the best one in town :)

I'm not a big fan of cupcakes either :p but those ones are quite nice.

carolyn said...

Hmm...can't say I did. I rarely go to the bakeries in Vancouver as I find the pastries and stuff to be too sweet. Exception is Bread Garden. The cheesecake is good :p

Also like the carrot cake from Company's Coming at the then Eaton Center in Metrotown.

celest said...

OMG.. the cupcakes look too yummilicious! now you make me want some too.

carolyn said...

I broke my diet and had a decadent chocolate cupcake from *drumroll* 7-11. Yes! 7-11 actually sells cupcakes too. Haha. The dark chocolate frosting was so yummy, very rich and sinful though not as pretty as the others. I also bought a double chocolate chip muffin. And a taquito (some doughstick stuffed with cheesy stuff).

All these from the 7-11 at Marina Square. Amazing!

celest said...

hahaha... sweet-cravings can't be stopped when they strike. i actually bought krispy kreme donuts from the store in excalibur (las vegas), so excited about them... but then had to leave them behind in my rush to check-out (you know the long-story) *boo hoo* didn't get to try any in the end :(