Sunday, May 28, 2006

Open Letter to the Management of Cafe Cartel

The feedback form didn't seem to work on it website, hence the open letter.
www.cafecartel.com.sg

To Whom It May Concern:

I am appalled by the service at Plaza Singapura outlet. It was virtually nil and I doubt I will ever go back there again. I used to patronize Cafe Cartel when it first opened at the Siglap outlet. I enjoyed my visits then, great service and food was good.

I have been to the outlets at Serangoon Gardens and Raffles City subsequently and am generally ok with the service there. This is my first visit to the outlet at Plaza Singapura, and the non-existant service has marred my experience. I have informed the supervisor who was at the cashier counter about it as the manager was not around.

What happened?
I waited by the door where it said, to wait to be seated. Instead I was told to seat myself. Seeing that it was my first visit and the outlet was busy (but not the usual packed place with long line waiting outside), I wasn't sure where to go. Plus it seemed like the system has changed, as in there are waiters to take order instead of the diners placing orders on the chit and the taking it to the cashier? I am still uncertain about that. (Maybe there could be a clearer way to communicate the ordering system?)

I was finally shown to a table by another supervisor, who did that grudgingly. And there I was left to my own devices. No one told me how to place my order, as in to go to the cashier, or that someone will be with me shortly.

On the plus side, a waitress placed glasses of water on the table after maybe 5 mins? But after that, I was once again left alone. Once I decided on what I want, I tried to catch the attention of the servers, but none saw me. This was despite 3-5 of them milling by the food counter, which was near my table.

After waiting futilely for 5-7mins, I decided to leave. I walked out and no one stopped me.
This bothered me on 2 counts. This showed the staff was so inattentive that someone could just walked out without paying after having a meal. The other was that I felt the management should know about their service level. So I went back in, and spoke to the supervisor at the cashier counter.

I sincerely hope the service will improve, and the staff will be better trained to notice any diners' needs. This is sorely lacking at the Plaza Singapura outlet.


***Close letter***

No comments: