Sunday, November 15, 2009

Death by Chocolate ~ Rider's Cafe

I had some time to myself and was wondering where to go when I decided to head to Rider's Cafe over at the Bukit Timah Saddle Club to just read and soak in the greenery with a cup of coffee.
It was really crowded when I got there around 2+pm. By the time I was seated, it was past 3pm and only the tea menu was served. The service was really slow (maybe due to 2 big groups of diners) and the tea menu had very little options. I decided on the cappuccino and the death by chocolate cake. The savories were calamari, finger sandwiches and scones. Nothing exciting, especially when you saw other tables having fish and chips, burgers and other items. Yes, those people came for lunch and were served late too.

The coffee was decent enough with a thick foam and generously dusted with cocoa powder. A stick of sugar was usually not enough for me. Then again, I would be having a chocolate cake so that should compensate for the not too sweet coffee.


I waited for a long while for the cake to arrive. I was beginning to think how long did it take to cut a slice of cake and serve it to the customer when I still did not see any hint of it after 10 minutes of wait. When it came, I could see why it took some time. Maybe they did not have enough ovens/microwaves to heat up the cake and hot fudge so there was a queue.

It was a huge piece of cake with lots of hot fudge over it and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.



It was super rich and so big that I had to surrender. It was truly a "death by chocolate" moment and I actually could not finish it at all. The remains of the dessert. Oh, and I scooped up a few teaspoons of the hot fudge and stirred it into my cappuccino, making it a mocha drink. That solved the sweetness problem of the drink.

But the very reason to go to Rider's Cafe was not really the food. It was to gaze at the horses. There were lots of horses around, either inside the stables or out in the pen being put through its paces, or just outside along the road.

The horses sticking their heads out of the stable. They are just so adorable.

All the books you read about horses came to mind and you wish you could really go up close and personal to pet them. There was a sign disallowing the petting of the animals.

Who wants to learn proper horseback riding?

No comments: