Sunday, August 22, 2010

Rose Veranda @ Shangri-La Hotel, Peranakan Fare

I have been wanting to take a day off so that I can head to Rose Veranda at Shangri-La to just chill. It is one of my favorite places for an afternoon tea as it is a bit far out and the place is not too stark or noisy (though at times it can be when there are lots of children or big groups).

We got a table by the window with view of the greenery surrounding the hotel. The burgundy velvet deep armchair was quite perfect to relax in with a book and some nibbles.

Rose Veranda has changed its menu and now serves tea by TWG. The downside of it is that we don't get to keep changing the type of drinks (hot tea, iced tea, different types of coffee) unless we pay an additional $10++ for that option. The additional cost is not that much of an issue (though $48++ for tea?) but just that it is different from expectation. Usually I like to start with a glass of iced tea (usually some berry flavored), then a pot of hot tea before ending with the Viennese coffee which I love so much.

I decided on the Emperor's White Garden Tea which was under the White Tea selection. I typically prefer white tea as it is milder and not as acidic as black tea which has a sharp taste to it. The Emperor's White Garden Tea was a bit bitter but still mild enough to enjoy it without any sugar or milk. I am not sure if it is the teacup, but the tea gets cold very quickly so it is best to drink it fast if you do not like cold tea.

There was a Peranakan promotion on the day we were there, so the food was geared towards that. It was still good. I liked the char siew bun a lot. The bun was slightly sweet and soft and the char siew was tender and covered with just enough sauce. The siew mai and shrimp dumpling were equally good. Maybe I was lucky to get them when they were still fresh and had not been sitting in the steamer for ages.

The salmon sashimi was fresh and I could just eat this the whole day. The sushi was not as good as the seaweed wrap was a bit hard and dry by then.

There was the duck soup with kiam chye (salted vegetables) and straw mushrooms which was delightfully tasty. I did not really care for the straw mushrooms which tasted like they were out of a can. I guessed I am used to fresh mushrooms that I really dislike canned mushrooms.

The fried mee tai mak (short or mouse tail noodles) was a bit too oily for my liking and the prawns seemed overcooked. The assam fish was average and the prawns were not too bad. What I really liked was the beef dish. It was slightly sweet and reminded me so much of Indonesia. I could not remember the name but it was a bit dry with coconut shavings? Not beef rendang but something else. It was not a common dish that was usually found in Peranakan restaurants.


At the carving station, there were roast duck which was really good with the plum sauce. I also tried the otak which was not too bad. I do liked the quiche with its flaky crust and eggy filling.

I still loved the chocolate truffle cake and creme brulee. The creme brulee was rich but I liked it that way. The Parisian Beard was interesting with a light peanut filling.

The macaroon which was sticky chewy sweet. I guessed it could be airier and lighter but it was not too bad.

All too soon it was time to go. If you are in a hurry, ask for the bill with at least 30 minutes to spare as they do take a long time to get back to you.

No comments: