Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Gobi Desserts

I read about Gobi in the papers many moons back but as it was located at Katong Mall, which I hardly go to, I didn't have the chance to try its creations. Gobi serves desserts in bite sized pieces so you can try a little of everything. Wonderful idea!

You can buy them in either a box of 6 or 12.

With the opening of Central at Clarke Quay, Gobi has a store there, facing the road. Great location! Especially since the desserts need to be chilled within 2 hours of purchase.

It was finally opened when I was at Central on Friday. It was still under renovations when I was in Central the last few visits. I popped into there and dragged Davis in :p Literally like a kid in a candy store, I wanted to try everything!
In the end, Davis and I shared a box of mini macaroons. There are 4 flavors in there: mint chocolate, orange, strawberry and almond. Almond is the worst tasting of all, maybe it is the synthetic taste of almond? Strawberry is the tastiest, followed by orange and then mint chocolate. But overall, I didn't really like the mini macaroons. Too sweet.

For the box of 6 desserts, I chose the following:

Sweet Somethings, Oomph

Dark Angel - A must-have for all chocoholics. pure chocolate heaven embedded in moist rich chocolate cake.
This is really good! I like it, rich dark chocolate cake.

Sweet Somethings - Pink macaron shells encase fresh strawberries and cream.
I love this! The tart strawberries contrasted so well with the fresh cream and the macarons lent a right touch. Much better than the mini macarons.

Opera
- The ultimate coffee dessert. The perfect blend of joconde, coffee cream, dark chococlate ganache with just the right crunch to top it off.
A must-have if you love coffee. Can't go wrong with it.

Between the Sheets - Malibu milk chocolate ganache sandwiched between delicate sheets of dark chocolate and feullitine praline sits on a meringue base.
Davis' fave! Not really mine, too milk chocolatey for me.

Cactus - Sitting on a cinnamon crunch, is chestnut nestled in a cone of dark and light sponge crushed with dark chocolate ganache, custard and rum-soaked raisins covered with a milk chocolate and roasted diced almonds.
I didn't like this at all. Only one not finished. The rum is definitely overpowering but perfect for those who like alcohol, I supposed. I don't like chestnut either, somehow the whole combination is just so wrong for me.

Oomph - Luscious cherry enrobed in raspberry chocolate ganache encased in dark chocolate crunch.
This is really nice! Raspberry or cherry with dark chocolate is fantastic!

Oomph, Between the sheets, Dark angel

Cactus, Opera

The service was good too. I wanted to take pictures of the desserts before they melted when the staff asked if we would like to eat them in the store. It is not a big store with only that lone table with 2 chairs. She also served us water without us asking for it. That is real good service. The decor is nice. I love the tiny tea service set, seemed to be meant for doll house.

Location:
http://www.gobi.com.sg/

No comments: