Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hot Weather + Spoiled A/C = Bad Timing

I have been putting up with my "dsyfunctional" air conditioner in my room for almost a year now and it has finally gave up and spewed hot air instead.

My "old-fashioned" a/c which we bought in 2002 or 2003 (still less than 10 years). It was super cold, blasting icy cool air when it was new, with a very high horsepower to aircondition my fairly big room.

But since last year I had been having problems with it. Loud strange noises started emitting from it, cranking sounds, till finally I managed to get someone in to take a look last August or September. It was repaired and it worked fine again.

Then a few months later, it started spitting out ice. I could hear it but I could not find the evidence until I removed the cover and saw it was indeed iced over and bits would be ejected out. I tried to scrape the ice out but it was tough. Once the ice was removed, it would be cold again, otherwise the air was very weak.

So we got another person to fix the ac in March or April this year. It got better and the room was back to the original (2002/2003) state. Icy cold and oh so comfortable in the heat. But hardly a month or so later, it stopped blasting any cold air at all. Instead I got strong gusts of warm air, like a fan.

We got the same guy back to check it out and he said it was due to gas leakage cos there was a hole. It would cost another couple of hundreds to fix it. That was daylight robbery and so we decided not to fix it. By the time we finished all the repairs, it would probably be cheaper to just get a new one. Plus the hole was not there the first time he repaired it, so I suspected it was him who punctured a hole so that he would get "repeat" business. How could a hole suddenly appear when no one touched it or opened it at all?

So now my room is an oven with the unrelentless heat in our endless summer. I am relegated to the other room for the time being while waiting for the new a/c to be installed end of next week.

Good working air conditioner is a godsend and marvelous invention to anyone living in the tropics.

2 comments:

stardust979 said...

Oh dear...:/...Aircon can be quite a killer especially with the recent humid days...hope eveything works out eventually!

carolyn said...

thanks. i hope it will be fixed by end of the week. the heat is not going anywhere at all.