Sunday, June 28, 2009

M.J. (1958 - 2009)

Where were you when you heard the news?

I heard it over the morning radio but I did not really pay attention and was puzzled by the DJ's comment that "we will always remember him" followed by his song. Already my head was spinning from the news of the death of Farrah Fawcett, and so it was quite unbelievable MJ also passed away.

A couple of hours later, the taxi driver also told me about the news. I was stunned. He just larger than life and that it was quite hard to take in.

The last few days have been filled with news of MJ and anything related. The enormous publicity and attention generated by the media and people via blogs, youtube, twitters and other social networking sites showed how much of an icon he was. Love him or hate him, you could not deny he had a presence.

His passing reminded me of Princess Diana's death. It also shocked the entire world. Being in Singapore with limited tv stations means you do not really get the full impact of what is really happening. You saw snatches of the news, and then relied on the internet to get more information.

In the US/Canada, it would be different. All the tv stations there would be giving constant updates plus tributes and shows and all sort of information, and interviewing people from all walks of life on their thoughts and how they are dealing with this.

I remembered being glued to the tv in Canada the days following the death of Princess Diana. All the stations were giving updated information continuously. And I was actually watching a tv show when the station actually stopped the program with a newsflash of her death once it was released to the public. It was surreal. Somehow the constant deluge of information from the media made it more real, and it also made sure it remained uppermost in your mind.

Back to MJ. I am not that big a fan but I do like some of his songs and I did grow up on his music. Influences from the adults :p I know the older songs from Thriller, Bad and Dangerous albums more than the newer ones.

I am so glad I got the chance to see him performed at the National Stadium when he was in Singapore in 1993. And his love for children meant that the first few rows were reserved for children (under 18 years old) and were probably at a special price too. I could not remember how much the ticket was, but it was the 2nd row ticket for us. First row was totally reserved for the suits or sponsors' kids (not on sale at all).

My friend's sister and friends actually queued overnight outside Hard Rock Cafe just so they could get the tickets for all of us when it started selling. MJ was a huge phenomenon in Singapore and so they were interviewed for being such ardent fans.

The concert was amazing and electrifying. The entire stadium was filled. I have sketchy memories of the whole performance but MJ was awesome. It was a show with the full works. It was also his birthday so we were treated to the crew singing a birthday song to MJ.

The security was so tight and strict that we were not allowed to stand on the chairs, which meant I mostly saw MJ from the knees up. That was a real silly rule as people wanted to see his dancing feet, but still after a while we sneaked back up and stood on the chairs. Lol.

I still kept a newspaper clipping reviewing the concert all because we were in the papers. Hahaha. It showed a pic of the audience and we were there :p

But attending the concert was a privilege and blessing since it was on a school night. It was something I have to remember in more years to come. MJ had given many people beautiful memories. He had transcended across barriers and brought people together and inspired many others, including younger musicians.

He heralded the "moonwalk" and his music and dance were all a source of commonality for everyone.

He had touched many people's souls and hearts via his music and performance. He was indeed an iconic figure and the King of Pop.

I think the university professors would also have a field day getting students to think about this phenomenon and many people writing about MJ.

No comments: