Sunday, March 28, 2010

Grilled Ribeye Steak Lunch

I was inspired to cook again after the magnificent lunch made by AN. Also I was home alone today and it was either eating out or making my own meal. Since I eat out almost everyday (for most meals), I decided to just cook. It was nice to be able to plan my meal and do the grocery shopping.

I bought yellow onion and baby portobello mushrooms which I sliced to be used for flavoring and topping for the steak. I found that I much preferred portobello mushrooms which gave a smoky and stronger taste than the usual button mushrooms. I also stopped eating/using canned mushrooms now.
I love my grill pan from Meyer. This is much smaller than my previous one from Tefal but it works just as well. I drizzled the pan with olive oil (though usually I don't do that since it is non-stick and the fat from the steak would prevent it from sticking but I just watched a tv program where the chef sprayed vegetable oil on the grill and then wiped it down to prevent the veal from sticking to it) before putting on the ribeye steak to grill. I left it on for maybe 3-5 mins for each side.

I cheated by buying a seasoned meat instead of doing it myself. It was surprisingly pretty good.

2 potatoes were boiled and then left to simmer in the pot before I peeled them and mashed them up. I added milk, butter and pepper to taste. No salt since it was salted butter.

Frozen sweet peas waiting to be boiled before I drained them and seasoned with some butter.

And voila ~ my late lunch of grilled ribeye steak with mushrooms, onions, mashed potatoes and peas with onion gravy (from a mix "Continental" ~ not very nice as you could tell it was not freshly made. Maybe it is the brand too.). I need to learn how to make gravy without drippings from a roast.

The steak was perfectly done. Medium well. Just a light pink in the center and not bloody at all. The meat was tender and tasted so good. I realized the cut really made a difference. Ribeye is expensive but well worth the money. I bought this cut for about $12 (around 220g to 240g I think) but it was a bit pricey also because it was already seasoned.

Add a glass of sweet wine and it was bliss. I picked this up at the supermarket too. Orange muscat and flora from Brown Brothers. It is a dessert wine so a glass is more than enough to savor after the meal.

What a nice way to spend the day at home.

2 comments:

celest said...

ooh.. looks yummy! :)

carolyn said...

come over. i'll cook for you :p