Friday, May 07, 2010

Kenko Foot Reflexology

I was in VivoCity a few days ago and had some time to kill before my dinner date, so I decided to pop into Kenko Reflexology & Spa. When there, I saw there was a Mother's Day promotion (till 9 May 2010) which looked pretty good.

Purchase a 60mins foot reflexology treatment and pay $1 for a 20mins shoulder massage. So $61 + GST for a 90mins treatment (includes 10 mins foot soak).

I always liked the outlet at VivoCity as the glass doors were quite heavy and worked well to block out the outside noise. Inside, it was dim with 2 rows of huge loungers. You could lean back and push down and lie comfortably stretched out (about 45 degree angle, not a flat out bed). A warm cup of tea was served and the therapist would cover you up with big heavy fluffy towels.

The walls were dark and painted with motifs of leaves and 3-D butterflies were pasted on them. Coupled with the soothing music, it was enough to make you want to doze off.

The foot bath was a first for me as I usually just had the 30 or 40 mins foot reflexology. The foot bath was actually underneath the stool. It was warm and bubbling and fitted with rollers. That was a nice touch to prepare the feet. However, I did wonder if they do change the water (I didn't pay attention during the preparation as I was not sure where it would take place when I was waiting) and if it was clean. But I consoled myself that the hot water would probably kill any lingering bacteria or viruses in there.

They do not use oil or lotion for the foot reflexology. Instead they use powder so that the feet would not be oily and slippery after the session.

Then it began. My 80mins of pain. I guessed it was a mis-match of expectation or my body was just too sensitive to the pressure points that day. It was "ouch" from the set go. The "uncle" knew I was in pain but he persisted as he felt my circulation was not very good and that was the reason my muscles were all tense and tight. So he was trying his best to "unblock" and improve the circulation.

Unfortunately that meant I had to squirm and squeak when he hit a particularly sensitive spot. As I had not been sleeping well lately (broken sleep during the night), I thought I would give it a try and let him do what he could to help me sleep better too. So I did not overly protest or stop him. I was impressed with his focus and quest in wanting to help me.

After the 60mins foot reflexology, I was led to the massage chair for the shoulder massage. Again it was pure torture as he was fixed on "unblocking" the points. He actually did a thorough massage on the entire upper body. From the nape to the lower back and down to the sides of the upper thighs and up again to the head and shoulders and then the arms and fingers and hands.

I guess for those who like hard massage or are seeking relief from very tense shoulders or body, this would be heaven. But since I was not even remotely in dire need of such remedial treatment, it was a pain I had to endure.

I actually just wanted a relaxing and soothing massage for both the feet and shoulders. Ever since my chiropractic treatments, I hardly ever need to have such hard massage. Like I said, a mis-match of expectations.

No comments: