Saturday, May 01, 2010

Curry Crab?

Most people have heard of chili crab and black pepper crab, but curry crab? It is not so well known as its sisters. We had curry crab which was served at Seafood International (at Big Splash in East Coast) during one of the CNY dinners. I first viewed it curiously and then with trepidation as it was so unlike the usual way of cooking crabs.

Seafood International always offers different types of cooking style as I remembered another CNY dinner where the crab was cooked tom yam paste. I did not try it then. But this curry version, it was surprisingly very good. If you love curry, you will probably like this. The gravy was not overly spicy and has the right amount of spices to make it tasty.


It was served with toasted slices of french loaves. The crispy chewy garlic bread drenched with the curry gravy was sublime. Add the tender flesh of the crab and you could just be happy polishing off the entire dish and have nothing else.

You could do an open faced sandwich too. Spread the curry over the bread and add the crabmeat over and sprinkle with the cilantro. Nice!

It was a 7 or 9 course dinner and I forgot about photo taking after snapping a few shots of the dishes. The food and company were just too good. Lol. I think this was shark fin and chicken meat soup but I am not too certain now.

A claypot filled with abalone, veggies, dried mussel/oyster, fa cai (dried moss) and meat. I liked it all except for the dried mussel/oyster. Somehow I never like the taste of that chewy dried shell meat.

The ubiquitous yu sheng topped with raw salmon. Sometimes I think yu sheng can be quite fattening with the bowls of oil and honey being poured into the dish.

I have never been to Seafood International outside of these CNY dinners, so I am not sure about the usual ala carte dishes. It does look interesting and it may be nice to just go there someday for a regular meal.

Kids may like it for the wide array of fishes and other sea creatures swimming in the tanks. There is valet parking too so you don't have to worry about finding a lot. What I do like is the private rooms which could net you a view of the beach and sea. Lovely.

No comments: