Sunday, May 09, 2010

Sick?

It is strange how I always fall sick when I start a new job. I first noticed this trend a couple of years ago. I was ill for 3 whole weeks after a bout of flu. That was the longest time I have ever been unwell.

Then it happened again last year when I was temping at a new place. It was not as bad since it took me about a week to recover. But this latest illness had to take the cake.

I fell ill just before starting a new job. How could it be?

Till now I am trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I was all well and dandy on Friday. But somewhere into my 2nd glass of mojito, I started to feel a bit queasy. No, I was not drunk or high at all. I do have a high tolerance for alcohol and 1.5 glasses of mojito is not enough to make me sick.

Maybe it was the greasy food that we ordered. Somehow we just shared all the appetizers instead of ordering mains and then sharing the appies. But I finally surrendered to the urge to puke. I felt slightly better but it was not enough, so I had to leave the girls first.

Then my stomach felt strange. Seemed like I had a stomachache too, on top of the queasiness. Yucks. With a lo-batt phone, it was through sheer hard prayer that I managed to call for a cab. As luck would have it, it was the old cab. Jerky driving and stinky smell. Not a good combination in my condition.

Again, thank God I was carrying my BV bag which had a plastic bag (I put it there in case of rainy weather :p). And it was the first time in my life that I actually threw up in the cab. Into the plastic bag, of course, not the car itself. I was not sure if the driver knew or could smell it, but he sure was driving very fast too.

Since I felt so bad about it, I just gave him more than the fare came to. I did not want to bother with change too as I just wanted to get home asap. Showered, got into bed and I was still not well. Searched through the medicine drawer and found pills for "vomit, giddiness and nausea", so I took that. Within 15 mins, I had to make friends with the porcelain again. This time, everything came right up, even food from more than 6 hours ago. Previously it was mostly water.

Then I felt the aches in the body, particularly in the lower body and legs. I was not sure if that was from the high heels or from the "fever". I did not feel like I was burning up though I did feel cold in my room. It was very rare to make me feel cold. After 2-3 hours of sleep, I finally gave up and took panadol to contain the ache. That helped.

The next day, I was better but still not at 100%. The ache was still there. I did not have much of an appetite but the queasiness was gone. So I was debating if I should go out. In the end I decided to just stay home in case I did have a fever or some bug.

More panadols followed and sleep came. And today it was headache. Awful migraine. Took Naramig. I was ravenous and had fried bee hoon. Bad mistake as the stomach was not into oily food. Threw up again after taking the "nausea" pill. I am beginning to think that pill induced puking. Slept more.

Now I am feeling much much better. But I better not chance it again and just have something liquid or light.

I seriously have no idea if I have a bug or not. Is it stomach flu? Or some illness caused by mosquitoes bites?

4 comments:

red fir said...

oh dear, hope you're feeling better now. Rest well. (:

carolyn said...

thanks :) getting better now.

stardust979 said...

why don't you see a doctor? sounds like a viral infection.

carolyn said...

I was ok after a few days of rest. though i am now fell by the throat inflammation illness now. getting better too. thanks :)