Sunday, January 17, 2010

Festive Food at The Line, Shangri-La

We decided to head to The Line at Shangri-La for lunch during the festive period and it was the first time in so many years I saw how crowded it was. The last few times I went to The Line (or any other places serving buffets), it was pretty much a quiet affair. I guess with the holiday period, everyone was just out and about drinking and eating and be merry.
I decided on the Lobster Bisque and it was a good choice. The soup was very rich and went very well with the bread stick. I guessed this also reminded me of the numerous pots of crab bisques I had been cooking in Cafe World (Zynga game in Facebook). Hahahahahaha.

It was such a long line at the cold seafood section that I decided to give it a miss and head to the Japanese section for sashimi and sushi. Fresh and nice.
I saw the roast beef and wanted some as it was good the last time I had it. Unfortunately it was too rare for my liking so I did not touch it after a bite. The yorkshire pudding was also too burnt for me to eat it. The small bit of turkey was very average. Not as good as the one made my cousin-in-law for Christmas.
The Chinese section had been enticing me with all the alcohol-infused dishes. Finally I had the seafood noodles (very good) and kung pao prawns. The caesar salad was very limp. The beef cheek was heavenly. The eggplant parmigiana was not to my liking. The satays were great though.
With 2 plates of mains mostly misses rather than hits, I was not very satisfied :p I headed for another round and saw only 1 person at the seafood counter, so I decided to go for that. Freshly shucked oysters (the person would open the oysters based on the amount you want) and sweet prawns and crab claws. Finally, something nice.

Dessert to share. The opera cake was very nice as was the creme brulee. The cheesecake was good too though it was still too rich and cheesy for me. The mango passionfruit cake was nice to cut down the sweetness.
My ultimate favorite dessert - chocolate mousse in a cup. This was bliss.....rich dark chocolate melting in the mouth.

What was different for this buffet spread compared to the usual was the addition of turkey, log cake and more alcohol infused dishes which I did not take. That would explain the higher price for that week.

No comments: