Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pre NYE Dinner

N and S hosted another dinner for NYE though it was held the day before. As there were more people invited (about 20 people), it was a buffet affair at their place. Again, home cooked food and home baked bread with Swedish influences (S is Swedish). Ikea, anyone? ;p

The spread of food on the groaning table. We had so much food, including appetizers of breadsticks with 4 kinds of dips, chips and dessert of chocolate fondue and Swedish chocolates and fruits, plus an open bar including port and dessert wine and other stuff.

The Swedish Cake which was very nice, especially if you love mayo. It was basically slices of bread (cut lengthwise) and layered with sausages and prawns and coated with mayo (or at least I think it is mayo) and then topped with caviar, shrimps and olives and covered with chopped dill. I helped with the dill which explained why some parts had more and others had less.

The home baked herb bread which was so tasty with the cheese and smoked salmon. Loved it.
The home roasted chicken which I carved. I usually did the carving as I was more familiar with it with my experience of carving turkey. I must say it was so much easier to carve the turkey than the chicken. Too tiny! The vegetarian quiche in the background for a vegetarian guest.
Hardboiled eggs and carrots which I hardly touched. I was not that into veggies that night.
Mashed potatoes with Swedish spices and asparagus drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
The two pot roasts which S sliced to make it easier for guests to take and the sausages which were also sliced for easier handling. The beef was so nice, tender and not too rare.
The smoked salmon ( to keep the nordic influence in the food) which was really good with the bread and cheese.
The crispy fresh colorful salad with the feta cheese topping, making it so much more delicious. Swedish meatballs (now, this I think was bought from IKEA though they could have made it themselves. I never asked) and my favorite veggies of the night - brussel sprouts with bacons. This was so good. I need to ask N for the recipe. It was so hard to find nice brussel sprouts which were not bitter.

I love the food and the place, but I love the company more. It is always nice to be with good friends.

No comments: