Friday, April 07, 2006

Coffee Club @ California Fitness

It never fails to amaze me how fitness centers or weight loss/slimming centers are usually located next to restaurants or food, sinful concoctions waiting to tempt the weak-willed.

Outside California Fitness Center in Orchard, there are Starbucks, Orange Julius/Dairy Queen (I think it also served DQ ice cream since most DQ and OJ are together in Singapore) and Coffee Club. Another example is the Marie France (I think or was it Haach or some other slimming salons) in Marina Square. Opposite it is Carl's Jr. Imagine, huge greasy burger and fries. If that is not enough to tempt the dieter, there are also Swensens, Changing Appetites and some other restaurants down that stretch.

Back to Coffee Club. I was there for 2 consecutive weekends, and one of the servers actually recognized me and asked me where are my friends on the 2nd visit. I was with different people both times. Amazing! It is quite rare for the wait staff to recognize people and to give very good service in Singapore.

Both times I ordered the chicken piccata. Just what is that? It is deep-fried breaded chicken fillet served with a side of salad and spaghetti in pesto sauce. I like this dish as you can totally ignore the pasta if you want to be on the "no/low carbs" diet, plus there are real veggies in there too. It is better than the garlic prawn pasta or seafood pastat which were what I usually ordered. The first time, I ordered the set meal which comes with the soup of the day (mushroom) and coffee or tea. The 2nd time I ordered it as a la carte as I was not that hungry.

Part of Set Meal

A la Carte

I was stunned when I saw the plate for the a la carte. It was huge! See the difference! The chicken is gigantic. I certainly didn't expect that at all. For once, I didn't finish the entire thing, it was just too much. I think I only ate half or 2/3 of the food. However I prefer the set meal pesto pasta. There were more pesto sauce or at least, it was more flavorful when compared to the a la carte, which was more bland.

We ordered the mussels in chili crab sauce, served with mantous "Chinese buns" the 1st visit. That was nice. The sauce is the highlight and the mantou too.

No comments: