Sunday, April 16, 2006

Oreo WaferSticks


I saw this at the counter when I was at 7-11 getting a drink. I decided to try it. After all, it is pretty small and can fix my chocolate craving.

That was a bad bad bad mistake. One bite and it was awful. The chocolate coating tasted like those cheap chocolate. It particularly reminded me of the chocolate wafer which was wrapped in the red foil wrapper. The type of wafer biscuits that I had before when I was very young (before I tasted better chocolates and became more particular about it).

Why is it that bad? Primary reason is that the chocolate has an oily waxy feel to it. It is probably more cocoa butter than cocoa itself. Sorry to say, but most chocolates produced in Malaysia and China taste like that. Cheap chocolate.


I was shocked by this low quality and looked at the wrapp again. There - the reason. It was manufactured in China. But it is just so wrong, for a household name brand to produce such inferior quality product. Now the question is, why does a multi million company use poor chocolate substitute for its products? I mean, I can understand if the "lesser-known" brands do that due to cost constraint. But for a rich company to do that, it is quite incomprehensible.

Other reasons that came to my mind is that, is it because this product is actually meant for the "poorer" countries in the region? And since their purchasing power is less, the company cut cost by using poor quality chocolate so that it can be sold cheaply? It did say on the wrapper it is manufactured in China, and registered in Indonesia. Importers and distributors are for Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Singapore.

This is definitely the first and last time I shall eat this, and I will definitely be more wary and be conscientious in checking out the labels.

No comments: