Friday, April 28, 2006

Merlion Everywhere


I like this picture. The Merlion is such an iconic image for Singapore that most people really thought it is real, a legend in Singapore. The Merlion Tower in Sentosa even has a story about it. What may or may not come as a surprise to people is that the Merlion is actually a tourism campaign thought by the Singapore Tourism Board, way back in the early 1980s.

Using the story of how Sang Nila Utama spotted a lion when he landed in Singapore and he named it Singapura (Lion City), the STB came up with the merlion to represent Singapore. The lion head and the fish body to represent the lion residing in the jungle (though some history books said it was most likely a tiger Sang Nila Utama saw as there were more tigers than lions in Malaya), and the fish body to represent the fishing village. The sea is important to Singapore as it has a natural deep harbour, perfect for a shipping commercial. Entrepot trade was Singapore's livelihood then, and even now Singapore is one of the world's busiest ports.

Pride was indoctrined into Singaporeans through schools. I still remembered having to draw the Merlion head for art class when I was 8 or 9. From young, we were taught songs which instilled pride for being a Singaporean, especially when National Day was round the corner. I think we (my generation) must have been fed so many programs. The busy bee to be hardworking, the lion to be courteous, the squirrel to save money, and the elephant to be sharing. All these cartoon characters in primary school. Sometimes I think the government thinks we are still young kids. I am recalling how the Aljunied Town Council actually has Alfie, (the mascot which looked like a lion?) to educate the residents not to litter, etc. Even all the notices are in cartoon forms. Are we stupid or what? Their rationale is that there are many old people who do not understand words. And I can comment on that cos I used to work in the Town Councils. Hah!

Some nationalistic songs:
"Stand up for Singapore"
"Count on me Singapore"
"We are Singapore"
"One nation, one people, one Singapore"

I must admit though, it is quite electrifying and can be an emotional affair when at the national stadium for the National Day Parade. BTW, I think I will finally get the chance to vote for this year's election. It has always been a walkover in my GRC. As usual, our esteemed media gives a very fair coverage - NOT. So I have no idea who is the opposition at all.

No comments: