Friday, July 07, 2006

Astrology and Camera

I found out my digital camera, my precious camera, is not working today when I tried to use it. The display screen was not showing anything at all though all lights were on. I took it to a shop to ask what was wrong and the guy said it seemed like it was dropped and there was a crack internally.

But I definitely did not drop it. The only explanation I can think of is that the camera was probably crushed (even though it was in its case) in my bag when something else was put on my bag yesterday at the event. I had my bag under the registration table and everyone else just dropped their stuff off too. But that still seemed far fetched.

Took it to the Canon Service Shop and was told the LCD screen was cracked and it is not covered under the warranty. WTH! What good is the warranty if it doesn't cover anything useful at all. The guy said the only way for it to crack is if there is a huge impact and that I had knocked it etc. Impossible! To the naked eye, there was no sign of damage at all. Not being dropped or any piercing. But I still need to pay for the servicing and repair. Anyone know if this is a common occurence? Still feel it is unfair. If I did damage it, I don't mind paying. But I don't even know what is the cause. He said he will get the people the check for the cause but still need to pay *bleah*.

Mine is a Canon Ixus 50. If anyone knows it is normal for that range, then maybe I can write a letter to the company asking for a thorough investigation. Hehe.

So back to my musing. Should I believe what Susan Miller wrote in her website www.astrologyzone.com. Apparently Mercury is in retrograde and all things electronics will fail. So far I have my pc dead and had to change the motherboard and power supply. And my phone died for a day before it was fixed, so I may still need to get a new phone. Now my camera. I hope my mini ipod is not next. This is discounting the numerous times my pc at work will just hang, then died and keep dying despite restarting. But now we just got new laptops. But my mouse died afer a few minutes. The right click didn't work.

Anyway, here is an extract from astrologyzone for Aquarius in July 2006:

"Mercury will be retrograde throughout this month, from July 4 to 29, making for an increase in miscommunications, misunderstandings, false starts, and outright wrong thinking. Mercury rules perception, thinking, communicating, negotiating, and the drawing up of agreements, and important contracts / documents of all kinds. Mercury also rules transportation and shipping, as well as buying and selling. Things will go haywire, and it will be hard to get hold of the people whose decisions you need, let alone set up meetings and get decisions from them.

If you are thinking you had better hurry up and get things done in the first three days of July before Mercury goes retrograde on July 4, the sad truth is, it's already too late. Did you notice how appliances and computers began acting up in your house and office in June? That was a sign that you were already in Mercury's undertow. Don't plan to initiate any vital plan now. Wait until August 5 or so."

5 comments:

celest said...

OMG - the astrology reading sounds so uncannily true for you!! :P then again, DON'T believe it - sometimes it's self-fulfilling prophecy.

btw, my previous nikon-camera's LCD screen also died for no apparent reason (same symptoms as yours, everything's working well except nothing shows up on the LCD screen). nikon quoted me $180 - 200 for repair, but i just gave it up in the end, didn't wanna pay. i certainly didn't drop or crush the screen... it was just stored away in the drawer. maybe LCD screens are lousy nowadays - sigh.

monochromatix said...

Hmm... My dad's Cannon's LCD screen crapped out too... his is a swivel type. Actually, it hasn't died completely if we swivel it to a certain angle it works... I'm thinking that it might have been condensation that did this one in. It began happening when we were in Nuevo Vallarta, MX. Moving in and out from aircon to outside makes for alot of condensation... dunno.

As for the astrology :p they're fun to read, but I find that they're all just generalizations that can apply to anyone :)

carolyn said...

Yeah, someone told me the fluctuation in temperature and humidity can cause it too. Damn. Means it is pretty common but all manufacturers are not going to take responsibilty for that. Sigh.

I think mine could be the case too. Camera is always in airconditioned temperature, but at the event, it was outdoor and very hot that day. So maybe it didn't survive the hot temperature. That it is even hotter stored in its case and in my bag and under the table. Could be better if I took it out.

Well, will watch out for that. Just sad that my camera died in less than a year.

monochromatix said...

Wow... less than a year? That's terrible :( have you tried contacting the manufacturer? I'm thinking the heat shouldn't really do anything too much to affect it unless it was some ridiculous temperature...

carolyn said...

Hmmm...I will email them to see what they say about that. It is quite sad, with the repair, I am paying close to $800 for the camera now :(