Friday, June 30, 2006

XtRim Hair Exclusive

I finally managed to get an appointment with my regular hairstylist (Vince) and he did a texture perm for me. It is designed to give more volume and bounce to the hair. He trimmed the hair and gave me a longish "fringe" so now the front part almost brushes against my chin. This is a bit annoying actually as it keeps getting onto my face and I can't really tuck it behind my ears.

The back of the head was layered more so that there will be more waves and bounce. Overall I quite like the effect. It is not a harsh perm, but it complements the natural hair movement. My hair always has a mind of its own and is slightly wavy, so the texture perm just enhanced that. It gives me a nice, natural tousled look. The messy look which is perfect for me as I just do not have the time and patience to really do my hair. I prefer something simple and nice. Wash and go is me.

I have been going to Xtrim for years, since 2000 or 2001. I started with shoulder length or chin length bob or with layers. But I decided to perm my hair in October 2002 after growing it long. Since then, I have never looked back. And because it is permed, I only go back to Vince like twice a year. Every 6 months. Once to perm, another to color. I don't want to overprocess my hair.

And throughout the years, I have seen Xtrim moved so many times. From MacDonald House in Orchard to Boat Quay to Circular Road and now back to Boat Quay. It has certainly arrived. Vince has done very well for himself now, cultivating a regular clientele. The new place is very cosy and inviting. Exclusive is certainly the word.

He moved back to Boat Quay last month. The salon overlooks the Singapore River and faces the Parliament House or Asian Civilisations Musuem. It has a balcony which has a mini bar counter with 2 stools. A great place to relax and chill. There are also 2 "basket case" swings, really nice. There is a snazzy coffee maker to make drinks of your choice. Latte, cappuccino, mocha, etc. He even serves vodka ribena, red wine, juice, tea and water of course.

There are only 5-6 stations, with its own privacy through the use of threading to separate the areas. A full length mirror faces the chair, with a mobile glass side table to hold your bag and magazines. What sets Xtrim apart is that the place is completely Wi-Fi enable. You can bring your laptop and surf the web or work. There is also a laptop at the sofa area for customers to surf too. This is such a neat idea. I really regret not having a laptop with me when I was there. I spent about 4 hours just doing my hair. I read through 4 magazines and part of my book while there.

Xtrim is exclusive also because they do not take walk-in customers. Appointments are needed. There are only 3 stylists there, and Vince himself will only take in 12 customers per day. How is that for having "arrived"? Plus the salon is only opened for 4 days (Wednesday to Saturday) from 12noon till 11pm. He understands that his customers have to work and are mostly working in the Shenton Way area now, after his years spent in the area.

I think when he first started out, he has lots of students and NSmen as his customers and they probably have stayed on with him once they started working. I got to know of him through a friend who went to him during his NS days. I trust and like Vince that he will only give you a cut or style which is suitable for you. He does not force his opinions on you and it is an open consultation. He probably finds me a boring customer as I don't like changes that much :p

He has always wanted me to rebond my hair since I first went to him but I refused. Now he thinks waves and curls really do suit me better. He also knows that I prefer colors which are muted and not screaming loud. Though he did give me a brownish blonde look which my cousin said made me looked like an Asian J-Lo. The honey brown hair. That was the only time I really dislike that color and he muted it when I went back and told him so. I like that the service is really personalized and customized. He will always re-do or make changes if you think it is not what you want. Color not obvious enough, curls not that strong, etc.

Prices wise, it is not say very cheap nor is it that expensive like Passion or other salons in town. But the prices have certainly increased from when I first went to him. It used to be $38 or something in 2001 for a haircut, then it went up to $43 at Boat Quay (though he gave me the old rate as I was an old customer). Now it is $53 for a haircut. I think it is quite ok considering the place and the personal attention given, and the drinks provided and beautiful view and internet access.

Location:
XtRim
41B Boat Quay
Tel: 6339 5025
http://xtrimhair.com/

2 comments:

celest said...

i thought you'd post pic. of your new hairdo... anyway, catch up with you soon to see it :) sounds good!

carolyn said...

Hehe. I spent close to 4 hours in the salon and it was late when I got home. Too tired :p

You will see it when you meet me ;)