Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Time for a change!

Recently it seemed like all my electronic stuff is dying around me. My pc died and would not start on Friday night when I got home. A friend came over to have a look then and said it could be the power supply which burnt out.

Another friend popped over on Saturday to take a look and tried to change the power supply from the other pc. This is the first time I ever know there is a power supply in a pc, yes, I am that computer illiterate. Kinda ironic since I am supposed to know lots about technology stuff seeing that my clients are in the technology field.

Anyway, that didn't work, so he tried to take out my hard disk and put it into the other pc (which turned out to be spoilt - brother only told me that on Sunday), which of course didn't work too. Anyway, he got mad cos I didn't trust him to fix that (i.e. swapping of hard disk). Reason why I didn't really want him to do that cos it didn't seem like a simple operation and he wasn't really sure either. Plus after having my hard disk or pc crashed previously, I am more wary. And I do like my current hard disk now after another friend (who actually owns a PC shop or something) fixed my pc when it was hit by virus. He has installed several stuff for me to clean my pc with on a regular basis and cleaned it up. And I have kept it simple by not downloading anything from unknown sources.

Well, unfortunately I couldn't get hold of that friend so he couldn't take a look at my pc. Plus I didn't really want to impose on him too as he is busy enough as it is. Brother finally came to my rescue on Sunday, he didn't reply to my msg on Saturday. He didn't really know what was wrong, but he offered to take the pc to Sim Lim Square to let someone else have a look.

The diagnosis was that the motherboard has died. He also recommended to change the power supply as the old one wasn't able to handle that many things running. So I had to change all that on Sunday to get my pc up and running again.

The 2 days without access to a computer made me realize how dependent I am on the internet. I can live without CC (which has been down for a few days or weeks now), but I just can't live without the internet or even MSN. Not that I chat every often now, but at least most of my friends are on it. And I always get my information online. E.g the latest NHL score, research on laptops (yes, I am considering getting one if my pc dies again), MAC, Stila, reading friends' blogs, etc. So much information online, just waiting to be read.

Then today, my phone kinda died. Yeah, yeah, I am carrying an antique now. But I happen to love my Nokia 8250. It is the lightest phone I ever owned. Only 81g. Again, a light phone is important to me since I have too many things in my bag. What happened to my phone today? Somehow no one can hear me talk while I can hear them perfectly well. I can sms, and call out and receive call. Just not the talking part.

That was a disaster as today was the start of CommunicAsia and I had to communicate with the media for the meetings/interviews I had set up. Also need that to contact my colleagues on site. We have 2 clients participating there and I was running between the 2 booths. So it didn't help that I got to test out the latest chocolate phone from LG as well as the Motorola V3i D&G phone and the maroon phone. Very snazzy! Set me thinking if I should switch over to that.

Well, I will have to reconsider that again as I just found out the Moto phone weighs 100g! Then my brother managed to fix my phone. Said a screw was loose, but it may not be fully fixed. So I still need to think of what phone to get next. Welcome all suggestions which is hopefully 85g or below.

Hmmmm...what else is dying. Yes, my work pc is driving me nuts too! It will hang and shut down after 6pm, especially around 7pm, making it impossible to do my work. Many times my work disappeared cos it has not been saved. Even when I restart the pc, it will just shut down automatically. Sometimes it is lucky we save documents in a shared drive, so I can at least retrieve it and work on another pc, but at other times, it is just impossible to do anything!

Another thing I foresee giving up on me is my pda as it is pretty old now. Palm Vx. Already the screen is not very sensitive and it is hard to scribble information. But I still like it as it is slim. However I am thinking if I should try the blackberry instead.

Thankfully my mini ipod and digital camera are pretty new, so they should still be functioning for a while. My webcam and mic had already died and I doubt I will be replacing them. Can't find a small webcam to attach to my monitor, plus I am so used to not using them now.

No comments: