Friday, December 01, 2006

Plaza Market Cafe - Raffles the Plaza


I never really had a good impression of the food at Plaza Market Cafe at Raffles the Plaza as the selection didn't excite me at all the two times I was there. The very first time was probably a few years back when I had high tea there. I remembered it as very local in the desserts and the food was nothing to write home about. The 2nd time was for breakfast back in 2003. Again, I didn't think the food was that fantastic. To date, Ritz Carlton has the best breakfast buffet in Singapore with a wide selection of food (western, local, Japanese) plus freshly squeezed fruit juices.

So when a colleague asked me to have dinner with her as she has to use her dining voucher before it expired, I agreed. Anyway, we needed to destress for a while. We decided on Plaza Market Cafe as there were not much choices. Inagiku was too expensive, Prego was not that great either. So Plaza Market Cafe it was. At least it was a buffet so we could certainly find something to suit us both.


I was pleasantly surprised to note that there was a decent dessert spread (though most were gone by the time we made it to dessert) - chocolate mousse cake, cheesecake, pulot hitam, ice cream, some cakes etc. Don't remember much now. But the food at Plaza Market Cafe was mostly peranakan with some Japanese fare too.

For starters, I had the oysters, mussels, and some shrimp stuff. That were good. Then I moved on to the sashimi and one piece of sushi. That was followed by pie tie (absolutely deliciously) and laksa. Nice. By then I was already pretty full but still being me, I just like to try new stuff. So I had some prawns, beef rendang, eggplants and fried rice. We also had a bottle of white wine to accompany the food, courtesy of the voucher :p

All in all, it was a satisfying meal. Way too full by then.

Location
Level 2, Raffles The Plaza
Dress code: Casual

Open:
Breakfast
Daily - 6:00 am to 11:00 am
Lunch
Daily - 12:00 noon to 2:30 pm
High Tea
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays - 12:30 pm to 5:00 pm
Dinner
Monday to Friday - 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays - 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm

For restaurant reservations, please dial: 6431 6156.

No comments: