Saturday, January 20, 2007

Donut Factory


The latest craze to hit Singapore. Donut Factory.

Where else would you see constant long line of people waiting for hours (1 queued for 3 hours!) to get their hands on the donuts? And it is not a one-time occurence. It has been long line since it opened, probably even more since the writeup in The Straits Times a few weeks back.

I was fortunate enough to sink my teeth into one of the delectable donuts. My sister bought a box after waiting for 30mins. She bought them by chance as she passed by the shop when it first opened and bought a dozen. She figured since she already waited for so long, she might as well buy more. And this was just a day after the news report. She didn't read the report then.

So what is so special about Donut Factory? Donuts have always been around in Singapore, but most places sell donuts which are denser and thus feel more doughy and heavier.

1st row, L-R: Blueberry Glazed, Double Chocolate, apple cinnamon or peanut butter glazed
2nd row, L-R: glazed, strawberry white chocolate, glazed
3rd row, L-R: Lotus mocha, kaya white chocolate

Conversely the donuts at Donut Factory are very light and fluffy. It really feel like you are eating air. It is just so soft. I tried 2 flavors - glazed and a coffee thing. I heated it up in the microwave for 8 secs and boy! It was so good. Extremely airy like chiffon cake. You can gobble it up in just a few bites/chews.

I tried it cool or in room temperature. That didn't feel so special. Just quite usual, but still less hard than other donuts.

Apparently the reason for the line is the production is too slow to cope with demand. My sister said there was only 1 person making the donut, and 2 others taking them out of the fryer and packing them for the customers. Someone else posted online that they make donuts by batches of flavors, so if you want something else, you have to wait.

And now I heard you can also placed order and just pick up. But it takes about a week to pick up the order. And most people who queued tend to buy 2-3 boxes. I guess it is the same mentality as my sister. Buy more since you have waited for so long.

So until the craze dies down, I don't think I will go there for another taste.

Damn! Just realized what those flavors are. I should have tried the double chocolate too. Darn it! Hope the line gets shorter soon. Too bad my office is no longer near city hall. Sigh.

2 comments:

monochromatix said...

ooo... that sounds like the Krispy Kreme craze that happened here...

I'm thinking that if it's going to be anything like it was here then that store will tank as soon as the novelty wears off.

If S'pore is like Canada then as soon as S'poreans discover how unhealthy those donuts are, they'll stop going for sure :P

Enjoy them while you can!

"heat them for 8 seconds" one of the Krispy Kreme gimmicks :)

carolyn said...

Lol. Yeah, lots of food craze in Singapore. There are always donut stores areound but none as good as Donut Factory yet :p

As long as they do not over-expand, they should do fine.

I tried Krispy Kreme and wasn't too impressed with it. Maybe I had it a few days old. Hehe.

Give me good old Tim Hortens maple creme donut. That is still my fave!