Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Turkey Dinner - 16 Dec 2006

This is a belated post on the 1st Christmas dinner party at my friend's place. They served turkey which was their first attempt at making it. I was the "supervisor" as I was the only one who has made turkey before.

They did a great job in seasoning the turkey and making it so pretty. The food was fantastic and too much as usual.

The trick in making very moist turkey is in the basting. Most places served very dry and tough turkey as they did not baste enough. I never was a big fan of turkey as it was always so dry that it was so disappointing. Until I learnt the trick of basting, and successfully made my own, I enjoyed turkey again, but only homemade ones. Especially when made by my cousin-in-law who is a pro in baking turkeys.

Drool at the nicely baked turkey and the other Swedish food.

Candle-lit entrance to the apartment

Streamers adding to the festive mood

Appetizer - some smoked salmon and caviar (fish roe) on seafood filling sandwich and sprinkled with dill - a Swedish specialty

Close up of the appetizer - quite full after this

Beautifully baked turkey with bacon-wrapped sausage and apricot

Another angle with tomatoes and sauages on the side

Me carving the turkey - moist and juicy

My plate - brussel sprouts, mash potatoes with cheese, bacon-wrapped sausage, asparagus, mushrooms, turkey breast with gravy, stuffing and cranberry sauce (pity I can't polish off the plate, was so full)

Dessert - homemade cheesecake with peach, dessert wine and Swedish version of Coke (in bottle)

Before the proper dinner itself, we had ginger biscuits - the best ever - wafer thin and sweet, other cookies and Glogg (warm mulled wine with almonds and raisins). The ginger biscuits and Gloggs are only available from IKEA during Christmas period.

2 comments:

celest said...

wow, the spread looks too good!! yummy! certainly restaurant-standard food *drool* esp. the turkey! that must have been such a wonderful Christmas meal :)

Anonymous said...

The photos really capture the festive mood. Wonderful ambienece, delicious food and great friends...ahhh sounds perfect.

I think here in T.O. I've seen the Glogg even during the non-xmas IKEA season but have never tried it.