Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Jia Xiang Sarawak Kolo Mee

I heard lots about the Kolo Mee (aka Konlo Mee) from East Malaysia where Sarawak and Sabah are. Supposedly the noodles are al dente with the springiness/bouncy bite to it. The toppings are similar to the more commonly known Wanton Mee.


Went to VivoCity and saw an outlet selling Sarawak Kolo Mee. Since I was a newbie to it, I had the original and shared a bowl of dumpling soup with Davis. They were very generous with the dumpling soup, with lots of dumplings in it. Didn't count how many there are, but it seemed to be endless. Probably 8 to 10 dumplings. The most I ever seen in a soup. I like the dumplings. The skin is soft and smooth and the filling is chockful of minced meat, prawns and stuff.


The Kolo Mee is served with minced meat, char siew and veggies, plus a small bowl of dumpling soup and shrimps. The noodles were al dente and firm, definitely not overcooked. I don't recall the sauce served with the noodles but with the sambal chili, it tasted not half bad. Would I go back all the way for it? I doubt so. It is nice, but not unforgettable fantastic for me. I much prefer the "Special" Noodles sold at the stall in Kovan hawker centre. Now, that was lip-smacking delicious!

No comments: