Saturday, September 08, 2007

Donut Factory Donuts


I told the girls that maybe I should go queue for donuts at Donut Factory after I quit work since I will be free by then. And I did it! I went to the Suntec branch as I am not so crazy to attempt Raffles City where people started queuing even before the outlet opens. Plus I have heard that the line at Suntec is shorter and people took about 10 to 20mins during off peak period.

Arranged to meet to with Davis and Agnes at 11am to queue for donuts, but in the end it only took me 10 mins. I think I was the 6 or 8 in line. It moved very slowly, when compared to other places when buying food but it was all worth it. Davis only waited 5 mins since she came slightly later and Agnes was late so she didn't even have to wait :p

This was my first time queuing for donuts and I was not sure what to expect. Turned out you could just ask the staff if they have the flavor you wanted even if it was not displayed. They were churning out dozens in the kitchen. And in the Suntec outlet, there is even a mini cafe where you can order drinks, salads, food and maximum of 2 donuts for eating in. So it is another option if you just want to try one.

I like that they displayed pictures of the donuts available in the line, so you can browse and decide on your choices beforehand. There was also a note apologizing for the long wait and how they have tried all means to solve the long lines (advance booking, phone order, separate lines etc) and all that didn't work at all and implore customers to be understanding and patient if they waited in the evenings and the items are sold out before they could get served.

This is my 2nd time trying donuts from Donut Factory. The first time I had it, it was just a day or so after the article came out in Urban last November. That was before the craze hit and even so, my sister had to wait for 20 mins for the donuts. Now the lines are usually about an hour or longer on average. Some people have waited for over 3 hours!

Somehow I still prefer the donuts from Donut Factory when compared to others available. The donuts from Donut Factory are just so much softer, especially when reheated in the microwave for 8 seconds. The other places' donuts are too tough or doughy like bread.

So I bought 2 dozens (the maximum quantity allowed) as I know it will be the last time I will be having the donuts for the rest of the year.
I bought these:
Glazed (really amazing when heated up. soft and not too sweet)
Coffee roasted almond (I love this, maybe because of the almonds)
Spicy cheese (interesting savory item, works quite well)
Blueberry glazed (generous filling, but the glazed bit is too sweet)
Double chocolate (bestseller! chocolate filling is pretty good)
Raspberry dark chocolate (quite nice with the dark chocolate contrasting the tart sweetness of raspberry)
Hazelnut milk chocolate (least favorite of all. quite usual, maybe too much nuts and it overpowered the milk chocolate)
White strawberry heart (super sweet, white chocolate with the sweetness of strawberry. reminds me of white chocolate strawberry bar)

Oh, and they are going to open another branch at Novena Square. Oh why now, when I am no longer working in that area. Maybe it is a good thing too.

No comments: