Sunday, September 02, 2007

TCC (The Coffee Connoisseur)

Tiramisu

I hardly stepped into TCC (The Coffee Connoisseur) as I didn't have a fantastic experience which made me want to be a repeat customer. The last time I went there was a few years back and the food didn't make much of an impressions. Pretty usual fare with average taste or standards. Nice presentation though. But I am not really a packaging person. I am rarely sold by packaging or the visual on the outside. What matters most to me is the "inside", the substance within.



I read about its revamp and new menu, but again the old experience hindered me from wanting to try the place as there are so many other new or old eateries to tempt my wallet.


So what made me stepped into TCC on Thursday (August 30) then? Sheer desperation. Lol. It was late, around 730pm or close to 8pm, and we were at Velocity@Novena. Cedele usually closed at 8pm (I love Cedele soup and sandwiches), and Spinelli does not really have fresh food at this outlet (other Spinellis are fine), so there isn't much option. Fast food is out and I am not into organic food. Harry's bar is boring and we were just there on Wednesday (usual place for company's drinks) and so TCC it is.

The place is nice, interesting chairs/seats. A comfy "bench" for 2 but only 1 side has a partial backing which is too low to really lean on anyway. Another interesting feature is a "waterfall" right in the middle. It is probably just strings with water flowing down it, creating an illusion of a waterfall.

The menu has expanded. Much more sophisticated offerings with proper mains, beside the usual soup, sandwiches, pastas and light snacks. I tried the baked meatball pasta while Vanessa had the pasta au gratin. The meatball pasta was not too bad, the meatball had a taste to it but it got better the more you ate it. I like the cheesy creamy concoction drizzled with tasbasco sauce to give it a kick.

Choco Cinnamon Latte (background - love the cinnamon stick), Caramel Honey Latte (foreground - love the layers)

Food wise, it is still average. I had better. What was nice was really the presentation. The caramel honey latte looked pretty, but tasted a bit weak. Too much milk. The dessert - tiramisu - again scored high on presentation. Taste-wise, it was ok. Passable, not something which will make me want to go back again and again.

Conclusion, TCC is still not my first choice if I want to eat or drink. It is just nice as a place for a chat or chill out, if the outlet is quiet. The service at Velocity is excellent though. Water glasses were refilled automatically, and the service staff were polite and welcoming.

No comments: