Friday, February 13, 2009

Kudos to UPS

I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email from UPS informing me that the latest shipment from VS has arrived and checking with me on the actual cost charged by VS, and the GST which was applicable. It ended the email asking me to verify and confirm the GST charge before they pay Singapore Customs on my behalf.

That was a drastic change from their previous way of paying applicable GST on customers' behalf without verifying the actual cost charged by the shipper. I had blogged about UPS bad service when UPS paid GST where none was applicable and what they did to recover consumer confidence.

With this current practice of letting me know in advance, it is really good as I get to check the amount is correct, and I will also know when to expect the parcel. UPS is really very prompt. After I sent the confirmation email and got an acknowledgement from a "live" person (not those generic automated email), the parcel was sent to my place the following day. So all in all, it took about a week to receive my goods from VS (from ordering to receiving - shipping itself took about 4-5 days inclusive of GST payment confirmation).

I am not sure if this is a new practice from UPS for all customers or just for me. After all, I did recommend they should let me know in advance when I was communicating my previous dissatisfaction with them. Whatever it is, UPS has gained a happy customer and now I am not so hesitant to place order which will exceed or near the GST-free cap on goods.

No comments: