Monday, April 26, 2010

Grocery Shopping

I know things are not cheap from the supermarket but it does make you wonder why cook when it is so much easier (and maybe cheaper) to just eat out. After all, it is very easy to find food in Singapore compared to many countries where you need to drive a distance just to buy food and even then, most places close early.

I would think it is a love of creating and making meals that you want to cook (though I know some people cook for practical reasons too). Maybe for a family of 4 or more, it is still cheaper to cook at home, but for 1-2 persons, sometimes it can be more wallet friendly to eat out.

I went grocery shopping today since I know I would be home for the next few days and it would be an opportunity for me to cook. I have been fixated with making chicken quesadilla ever since I saw how easy it is to make it.

Mentally I thought I would make the chicken quesadilla and also stir fry beef with capsicums. The stir fry beef was one of the first dishes I learnt how to make when I was younger and I hardly made it anymore since no one in the family really eats beef.

My shopping list
beef for stir fry (over $5 for just over 100g! reality check on how expensive beef can be)
1 x red capsicum
1 x yellow capsicum
1 x tortilla pack (around $7.80 for 10 pcs)
1 x can salsa ($4.50. I was lazy to make my own)
1 x roast chicken ($7.95)
baby portobello mushrooms ($4.95)
1 x 2L Meiji low-fat milk
1 x spice bottle
1 x mozzarella/red cheddar cheese ($5)
1 x pack cilantro
1 x lemon
1 x avocado ($2.10)

For all that, my bill came to $52. Is that normal or is it just the things I bought just to make at least 2 dishes (chicken quesadilla and stir fry beef with capsicums).

Granted, I can probably extend the life of the roast chicken by using the leftovers to make either chicken porridge or sandwich.

At least now I can estimate what it would cost me when I eat out for the 2 dishes if I were to make them myself.


2 comments:

red fir said...

Yes sometimes it's really cheaper to dine out, considering the rising cost of ingredients & the hassles of preparing a homecooked meal. Not to mention the cleaning up.

Waiting to see your posts on them. (:

carolyn said...

I did not take pics of the cooked dishes :p

Will likely do it the next time I make it again. I am pretty amazed at how simple it is to make the quesadilla.