Friday, April 02, 2010

Local Bento Set at Ah Hoi's Kitchen, Traders Hotel

Ah Hoi's Kitchen at Traders Hotel is still running the local bento lunch set promotion which is a very good deal. At $15 nett, you get 6 dishes in the bento set. And the promotion is 2 for the price of 1, so each set works out to $7.50.

There are at least 6 types of bentos to choose from ~ Singapore, Noodle, Hainanese, Cze Char, Thai, Oriental and vegetarian. So far I have only tried the Singapore and Thai sets.

The lotus root pork rib soup was served on my first visit in early January. This was fabulous. The soup was clear, smooth and sweet. I liked it.

I decided to try the Singapore set which came with nasi goreng, satay, curry vegetables and beef rendang. It was so-so only as the beef rendang and satay were a bit tough. The curry vegetables were not outstanding, likewise for the nasi goreng.

I do think they take feedback in consideration as this set was apparently much better when I went there again a week later with some friends and they said they beef rendang and satay were tender. I had told the server only the soup was nice during my first visit as the meat was too tough when he asked how was the food.

It was chicken and peanut soup during my 2nd visit. Again, the soup was very good. I am beginning to think Ah Hoi's Kitchen specializes in soups since they were good the two times I was there.

I tried the Thai set which came with broccoli and mushrooms (yummy), pineapple rice (could be better), green curry chicken (not too bad) and fried fish which was ok.

The last dish in the set was dessert - just cut fruits.

I believed for the Oriental set, it came with Bak Kut Teh, carrot cake and some other stuff.

This promotion has just been extended to 30 June 2010 and is available everyday I think. Check the website or call them for more details. I went there on both a weekday and a Saturday for the two meals.

No comments: