Sunday, May 20, 2007

The CaffeBar - Parkway Parade

I chanced upon this cafe while in Parkway today and decided to try it after I saw a review by Ah Yoke from ST. He has been known to be an elusive food critic and is extremely hard to invite him for a food tasting session.

I didn't read the article but just walked in to try. The place is right in the middle of an atrium, so you get to watch shoppers going about their business. I ordered the seafood spaghetti alio olio as I was not in the mood for tomato or cream based sauce.

I always think it is the mark of a great chef if the food is still nice without much seasoning or gravy or sauce to cover up the freshness of the ingredients. I liked the pasta - the spaghetti was al dente and it was infused with the subtle flavors of olive oil, herbs and garlic. There was a generous serving of seafood - crayfish, 2 prawns (shelled body with head intact), sliced squids (nicely done, not rubbery, almost like having it raw) and baby clams and whole chillies (spicy!).

The dessert I ordered was not that fantastic. Maybe it was too big for one person. I had the creme brulee lightly fused with earl grey tea. The creme brulee was thick and smooth. I loved breaking the burnt sugar and digging into the custard. Also ordered a viennese cappuccino which was topped with whipped cream and dusted with cocoa powder. That was nice though the coffee could be better?

No comments: