Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Cars - or lack of

I am never really that into cars. To me, they are just a mode of transport and as long as it can get me to my destination and not break down on me, I am happy.

Recently I was lemming to get my own car. That stemmed from knowing my friend just bought her own car, and she only got her driving license last year (I think). So I was curious to see what is actually available on the market and the price range.

I typically don't bother reading the car pages in the papers nor do I check out the prices in the classified. The only time I read that was way back in SFU when again, I was tempted to get a car then. Lol.

So I was checking out the small cars, I much prefer those than typical sedans. And I would love to get a 2-door car too. My dream car would be the Mazda Miata - I always saw it parked outside my apartment in Canada. So cute, tiny car zipping around. Searched more online and found out the 2nd generation is now known as Mazda RX5 or something. In Singapore the cost is exorbitant and so way out of my budget. I am not that keen on other Japanese cars, maybe I am influenced by others or what I am currently driving (Dad's car) - but continental or American is much better. Heavier and with weight.

But the thought of buying cars totally got dropped when I was confronted with the reality of rush hour traffic. It absolutely sucks! I can't believe it took me close to an hour to get to the airport from Novena. Maybe my fault for not knowing the best route (CTE to TPE to airport), but the line of cars on the CTE, waiting to get onto PIE was horrendous!

Anyway, the marking of the roads / signs was not clear and I somehow got off the line for the PIE and went onto Upper Serangoon road instead. And over there it was not much better. Long line of cars again. So yeah, that was strike 1 against buying a car.

Strike 2 was the next day when I took taxi from home to International Business Park to visit a client. Again, the traffic was bad and the charges on the ERP was astronomically crazy! $3.50 to use the CTE past Braddell I think.

Strike 3 was when I did my math. Even if I take taxis home from work everyday and from town, I doubt my total cost on transport will exceed $300/$400 per month. Currently I think my transport cost is between $180 to $300 per month.

If I buy a car, I will be paying around $800 - $1k per month (instalment plus gas, parking and other charges). Errr.....I really think I would derive much enjoyment using that on spa massages and travel :p

Plus I think I much prefer off-peak driving, and if I really need to go somewhere inaccessible, I could always use my Dad's car :)

But if someone wants to surprise me with a Miata, I would gladly accept too ;p

No comments: