Monday, October 02, 2006

Inagiku

I finally tried Inagiku at Raffles City Level 3. I have heard so much about it, the freshness and the price.

It is very expensive but it is very well worth it. There are set menus in the various categories (teppanyaki, sushi, sashimi, tempura) and since it is October, the current menu is for Autumn stuff. The cheapest is at $100 for the tempura set and the most expensive is at $220 for the teppanyaki set. The a-la-carte menu is not much better, starting from $30 (?), can't remember as I didn't get the chance to study the menu in detail.

I had the sushi set while DL ordered the teppanyaki set. The portions are huge (I was expecting the European style of small pieces of food with big plates type), so that was a pleasant surprise. In each set, there are about 6 -8 dishes (can't remember now).

Teppanyaki set:

Sashimi of prawn (big) and slices of yellowtail fish
Sauteed scallops (the scallops are huge and generous portion - 5-6 pieces)
Seafood teapot soup
teppanyaki beef (it was supposed to be fois gras but we swapped that)
lobster (ran out of lobster so they substitute for king prawn topped with roe. Huge portion)
garlic rice
miso soup
green tea ice cream with red bean topping

Sushi set:

appetizer of fried salmon and other stuff
sashimi of swordfish (I think) and tuna
cod in miso paste (this is very nice!)
seasonal steamed veggies (didn't like this)
some soup (quite bland after the richness of other food)
assorted sushi (a winner! so many pieces of sushi - salmon roe, ikura, huge prawn, tuna belly x 2, swordfish, salmon roll x 3) - very generous and thick slices and the salmon roe is so sweet, the ikura is very fresh, not chewy at all.
seasonal fruits (japanese pear)

I think this is my most expensive meal ever! But it is oh so good. Very fresh and generous in portions. I think 2 persons can share 1 set as we can't finish the food at all. Quite wasted, especially the king prawn as I only had 2 pieces and DL had only 1 piece and there are like over 10 pieces. DL doesn't eat much, and he was passing some of his food to me to sample. I couldn't finish the sushi at all. Only had the 3 smaller salmon rolls and the salmon roe sushi, the rest I just took the fish except the swordfish (didn't really like that), and only had 1 bite of the humongous prawn. It was just too much.

I think I will only go there again if I have the Feed at Raffles card where you can get 50% off if there are 2 diners. Think our total bill came up to around $500 or more since DL had 2 G&Ts and an additional green tea ice cream.

Location:
Level 3, Raffles The Plaza
Raffles City Shopping Centre

2 comments:

celest said...

oh WOW! $500 dinner!! *giddy* i think i'd be too stressed up having a $250 dinner *lol*. but it sure sounds wonderful - great spread! too bad no pics. this time.

carolyn said...

Yeah, I was stressed too when I saw the price. Didn't expect that at all but DL said to order set instead of ala carte.

Think Blu at Shangri-La also around the same but at least there is ambience at Blu. :)