Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chiang Mai - Airport Plaza Mall Food Court

We finally had a day to ourselves and where did we go? To the Airport Plaza Mall where everything is familiar. I guess once a city girl, always a city girl. No matter where we go, we will always zoom in on "civilization" - the shops! Lol. I quite liked the food court in the basement as it was different from the usual. It actually sold authentic Thai food which Thais would buy and consume. Even the menus on majority of the food stalls were in Thai. Pictures to help any tourists but not much English at all, unlike in Phuket or even Bangkok. Thai snacks and desserts. So colorful and pretty. I didn't get to try many things at all.
Fried insects, anyone? I was quite surprised to see these being sold. I have never seen fried insects so close before.
A close up of the fried insects. I didn't ask what they were but they looked gross :p
I was intrigued by this technology. It pounded the food (whatever it was) automatically. Quite cool.
Quail eggs or some other eggs. I hope they were not the eggs where half formed chicks were in there. Looked too small?
Regular food. After walking a few rounds of trying to find beef noodles soup and failing since the dishes were all in Thai, I decided to go for the safe basil chicken on rice. It was not too bad. Nothing still beat the one I had in Bangkok.
The tom yum soup was excellent. We were supposed to share but by the time I bought my food, V had finished almost half of it. So I told her I would get another bowl for myself :p Unfortunately I didn't finish that as I was too full.
V had the seafood fried rice which looked much more appetizing than my chicken basil rice.
The only stall with English words - Pad Thai - I ordered that to share with V. Yes, we were feeling greedy.
Pad Thai - it looked way better than the pic. I followed another customer's way of adding the condiments. I never knew Thais ate Pad Thai with chili flakes, sugar, lime, bean sprouts and some sticks of spring onions or something and they mixed them up. I am still not used to adding sugar to my food unless they are supposed to be desserts. We didn't finish this at all. Too full by then, after all the waiting in line for food.
Some colorful glutinous rice desserts I think. I didn't try that.
I could not resist and ordered the mango with rice dessert. Thais also eat durians with rice which I thought would definitely be an acquired taste. I was too full to eat that so I had the mango (no rice) the next morning for breakfast. The mango was so sweet and yummy. I love the fruits in Thailand.
We took the green shuttle bus from the hotel to the mall.
This was a pretty good service to provide. Free shuttle to the mall. There were red buses which you could also flag to get around for 20THB. We didn't get to try that at all. The buses were seen as much safer than tuk tuks as tuk tuk drivers had the reputation of taking tourists to some places other than their orginal destinations.

2 comments:

Nik Daum said...

Great post on the food area of Airport Mall. They also have some great stands selling Khao Soy soup on the cheap.

Are you still traveling in Thailand? It seems like you've been all over the world.

I've been in Thailand for a few months, and have been keeping a travel blog of my own at http://www.nikdaum.com/news

carolyn said...

Thanks :) I am no longer in Thailand, back in Singapore now. Hope to make it back there again in the later part of the year. Your pictures are simply awesome.