Saturday, August 02, 2008

Food for Thought desserts

I finally popped into Food for Thought after lunch one day. I have been meaning to drop by for a meal but somehow it just never happens. So when I walked past it the other day, I just had to go in. The red velvet cake attracted my attention and while making payment, I saw the nutella cupcake. So I got that too.

The nutella cupcake was not bad though it had an alkaline aftertaste and the nutella frosting was very subtle. The alkaline taste kinda overrode the nutella.

The red velevt cake was much better. Not too sweet and with cream cheese buttercream frosting. The red velvet cake was not a common cake in Singapore or anywhere else. At least when you compared to the commonly found brownies, cheesecake, carrot cake and chocolate cake.

The red velvet cake originated from the South in the US. The red color possibly came from the combination of acidic vinegar and buttermilk though most people typically use red coloring or beet to get the color now. Traditionalists will include cocoa in the recipe too.

I am still trying to find a place which serves red velvet cupcakes.

Location:
420 North Bridge Road

#01-06 North Bridge Centre
Tel: 6338 8724
http://www.foodforthought.com.sg

2 comments:

red fir said...

Hello! Toast serves red velvet cupcakes now! It's new I think. :)

carolyn said...

Wow! I need to check that out soon. Thanks for the tip.