Monday, December 22, 2008

Panettone

Panettone is a traditional Christmas bread and since Christmas is nearing, the supermarkets start to stock them. I first heard of it when an Italian friend brought it over for my Christmas party several years ago and he mentioned it was a traditional "cake". Somehow we never had the chance to eat it then and I have always wanted to try it but didn't. Until now, that is. I was at Cold Storage last week and saw it. There were more choices now compared to early 2000s. So I picked up a small one just to try.
It looked like a muffin for the 100g version. Another Italian friend said Panettone was usually 1kg and the alcohol taste in the bread was actually from the yeast. The raisins, currants and candied orange added a bit of sweetness to the bread much like raisin bread. I much prefer Panettone to the traditional English Christmas cake which was too sweet for me. Panettone was great with coffee.

No comments: