Thursday, December 04, 2008

Plaza Market Cafe - International & Peranakan Spread

It was NP's birthday treat. We decided on the dinner buffet at Plaza Market Cafe at The Fairmont on a weeknight. The selection was a mixture of International and Peranakan food.

Cold dishes - cheese, bread, crackers, salads, seafood on ice including oysters, prawns...
Peranakan - Babi ponteng, ayam buah keluak, chap chye, rendang, kueh pie ti...and various condiments
Japanese - variety of sushi, sashimi, soba and chawanmushi
Asian/Western - lamb curry, fried rice, duck, veggies, duck, beef, fish...
Grill meat and soups and desserts including ice cream, chocolate fountain and durian puree paste

I don't remember much now :p

My plate of starters - 3 types of oyster (Canadian, Singapore and New Zealand), tuna on tomato which was pretty ok, cheese on tomato (I think the cheese is mozzarella - a bit bland) and shrimp salad which was nice.

Of the 3 oysters, I prefer Canadian, followed by New Zealand. The Singapore bred oyster was too salty. Or maybe the one I took just had too much brine. The other two tasted better with the bite and chewiness.

I just realized that some people do swallow the oysters whole. How do you eat your oysters? I usually bite it and chew a couple of times before swallowing.

My 2nd plate - more Canadian oysters. The prawns were sweet and juicy. The staff was excellent. They gave us finger bowls to wash our hands, and replaced them without us asking. Service was very good when we were there. Attentive and polite. I still prefer salmon sashimi though all were pretty ok. Not as fresh as some other places but good enough.

Finally, my plate of hot food. In fact my only plate of mains. I had the rendang (think it was beef?) which was quite tender though not quite melt in your mouth. The buah keluak was good. Fried rice was ok. Fish gratin was not too bad. The Peranakan food was a bit of a disappointment, more because the food was cold. Somehow the warmers didn't heat them up well?
Kueh pie ti which I shared with NP. That was good. There was no laksa but some noodle soup which I didn't take. I tried the cream of potato soup which was not bad but a bit too heavy so I didn't finish that.
Dessert - no pics but I tried the chocolate cake which was really nice. Also tried the durian puree which was not bad.
I still prefer to have buffet for lunch or during the day. Somehow one could not eat as much during dinner :p

No comments: