Saturday, April 11, 2009

Beo Crescent Curry Rice

I am quite a deprived child growing up as I hardly ever have hawker food. I only know the basic dishes such as prata, wanton mee and porridge as these were what I had from the coffee shop when I was still at a single digit age :p. I hardly ever get to go to the food center for meals. It would be a rare treat as we usually eat at home or at restaurants. Slowly I began to sample and learn more about the other dishes like hokkien mee, char kway teow, chicken rice, minced meat mee pok, fish ball noodles, laksa, yong tau foo.

I love yong tau foo but I hardly ever had it since it was so hard to order it for to go then. Plastic containers were not common and usually we brought our own container when ordering porridge to go.

In secondary school, I discovered beef noodles as that was my friend's favorite dish when we were at the then Scotts Picnic Foodcourt (though my godma would like to say she introduced the dish to me when I was a kid - Bugis Street beef noodles - but if it was a 1 or 2 time affair, I doubt I would remember ;p). I also got to know nasi briyani from Islamic Restaurant along North Bridge Road as my cousin always bought those home.

So I was pretty psyched when I was invited to go along with friends to have "awesome" curry rice for lunch at Beo Crescent. This would be the 3rd place I tried curry rice - the first two being at Tiong Bahru Market and Food Republic Wisma Scissors Rice. And I only first tried that a few years back. It is still not my staple food for hawker fare.

There was a long line of people queuing to buy food when we got there around 1130am on a Friday (Good Friday holiday). Look at the gorgeous curry drenching the rice. Fried prawns, sunny-side up egg with runny yolk, cabbage and pork.

Verdict: Absolutely lip-smacking delicious. It was a very generous portion with lots of rice that I could not finish it at all.

Fried pork chop which was so so so yummy to share. Actually I did not taste any meat at all, it seemed to be totally fried flour :p I can still remember the taste of this. I wish I live nearer to Beo Crescent.

Squid in assam gravy which was fantastic on rice. The squid was not too chewy or rubbery and it had egg in it? Don't remember what it was called, the gelatinous thing stuffed inside. There were 2 squids for 4 of us to share.

I have no idea where the stall is but it is at a coffee shop next to a food center at Beo Crescent which is near Havelock Road or Tiong Bahru Plaza.
I wanna go there and eat again!!! Maybe it can be a once a month affair :)

No comments: